1. O you who believe! fulfill the obligations. The cattle quadrupeds
are allowed to you except that which is recited to you, not violating
the prohibition against game when you are entering
upon the performance of the pilgrimage; surely Allah orders what
2. O you who believe! do not violate the signs appointed by
Allah nor the sacred month, nor (interfere with) the offerings,
the sacrificial animals with garlands, nor those going to the sacred
house seeking the grace and pleasure of their Lord; and when you
are free from the obligations of the pilgrimage, then hunt, and
not hatred of a people-- because they hindered you from the
Sacred Masjid-- incite you to exceed the limits, and help one
another in goodness and piety, and do not help one another in sin
and aggression; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah; surely
Allah is severe in requiting (evil).
3. Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and
flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of
Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that
beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being
smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten,
except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set
(for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression.
This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your
religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected
for you your religion and completed My favor on you and
chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled
by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is
4. They ask you as to what is allowed to them. Say: The good
things are allowed to you, and what you have taught the beasts
and birds of prey, training them to hunt-- you teach them of
what Allah has taught you-- so eat of that which they catch for
you and mention the name of Allah over it; and be careful of
(your duty to) Allah; surely Allah is swift in reckoning.
5. This day (all) the good things are allowed to you; and the
food of those who have been given the Book is lawful for you
and your food is lawful for them; and the chaste from among the
believing women and the chaste from among those who have
been given the Book before you (are lawful for you); when you
have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage, not
fornicating nor taking them for paramours in secret; and whoever
denies faith, his work indeed is of no account, and in the
hereafter he shall be one of the losers.
6. O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your
faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads
and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation
perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are
sick or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy, or you
have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake
yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands
therewith, Allah does not desire to put on you any difficulty, but
He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor on
you, so that you may be grateful.
7. And remember the favor of Allah on you and His covenant
with which He bound you firmly, when you said: We have heard
and we obey, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, surely Allah
knows what is in the breasts.
8. O you who believe! Be upright for Allah, bearers of witness
with justice, and let not hatred of a people incite you not to act
equitably; act equitably, that is nearer to piety, and he careful
(your duty to) Allah; surely Allah is Aware of what you do.
9. Allah has promised to those who believe and do good
deeds (that) they shall have forgiveness and a mighty reward.
10. And (as for) those who disbelieve and reject our communications,
these are the companions of the name.
11. O you who believe! remember Allah's favor on you when
a people had determined to stretch forth their hands towards
you, but He withheld their hands from you, and be careful of
(your duty to) Allah; and on Allah let the believers rely.
12. And certainly Allah made a covenant with the children of
Israel, and We raised up among them twelve chieftains; and
Allah said: Surely I am with you; if you keep up prayer and pay
the poor-rate and believe in My apostles and asslst them and
offer to Allah a goodly gift, I will most certainly cover your evil
deeds, and I will most certainly cause you to enter into gardens
beneath which rivers flow, but whoever disbelieves from among
you after that, he indeed shall lose the right way.
13. But on account of their breaking their covenant We cursed
them and made their hearts hard; they altered the words from
their places and they neglected a portion of what they were
reminded of; and you shall always discover treachery in them
excepting a few of them; so pardon them and turn away; surely
Allah loves those who do good (to others).
14. And with those who say, We are Christians, We made a
covenant, but they neglected a portion of what they were reminded
of, therefore We excited among them enmity and hatred
to the day of resurrection; and Allah will inform them of what
15. O followers of the Book! indeed Our Apostle has come to
you making clear to you much of what you concealed of the
Book and passing over much; indeed, there has come to you
light and a clear Book from Allah;
16. With it Allah guides him who will follow His pleasure into
the ways of safety and brings them out of utter darkness into
light by His will and guides them to the right path.
17. Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely, Allah-- He is
the Messiah, son of Marium. Say: Who then could control
anything as against Allah when He wished to destroy the Messiah
son of Marium and his mother and all those on the earth? And
Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is
between them; He creates what He pleases; and Allah has power
over all things,
18. And the Jews and the Christians say: We are the sons of
Allah and His beloved ones. Say: Why does He then chastise you
for your faults? Nay, you are mortals from among those whom
He has created, He forgives whom He pleases and chastises
whom He pleases; and Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and
the earth and what is between them, and to Him is the eventual
19. O followers of the Book! indeed Our Apostle has come to
you explaining to you after a cessation of the (mission of the)
apostles, lest you say: There came not to us a giver of good news
or a warner, so indeed there has come to you a giver of good
news and a warner; and Allah has power over all things.
20. And when Musa said to his people: O my people! remember
the favor of Allah upon you when He raised prophets among
you and made you kings and gave you what He had not given to
any other among the nations.
21. O my people! enter the holy land which Allah has prescribed
for you and turn not on your backs for then you will turn
22. They said: O Musa! surely there is a strong race in it, and
we will on no account enter it until they go out from it, so if
go out from it, then surely we will enter.
23. Two men of those who feared, upon both of whom Allah
had bestowed a favor, said: Enter upon them by the gate, for
when you have entered it you shall surely be victorious, and on
Allah should you rely if you are believers.
24. They said: O Musa! we shall never enter it so long as they
are in it; go therefore you and your Lord, then fight you both
surely we will here sit down.
25. He said: My Lord! Surely I have no control (upon any)
but my own self and my brother; therefore make a separation
between us and the nation of transgressors.
26. He said: So it shall surely be forbidden to them for forty
years, they shall wander about in the land, therefore do not
grieve for the nation of transgressors.
27. And relate to them the story of the two sons of Adam with
truth when they both offered an offering, but it was accepted
from one of them and was not accepted from the other. He said: I
I will most certainly slay you. (The other) said: Allah only
accepts from those who guard (against evil).
28. If you will stretch forth your hand towards me to slay me,
I am not one to stretch forth my hand towards you to slay you
surely I fear Allah, the Lord of the worlds:
29. Surely I wish that you should bear the sin committed
against me and your own sin, and so you would be of the
inmates of the fire, and this is the recompense of the unjust.
30. Then his mind facilitated to him the slaying of his brother
so he slew him; then he became one of the losers
31. Then Allah sent a crow digging up the earth so that he
might show him how he should cover the dead body of his
brother. He said: Woe me! do I lack the strength that I should be
like this crow and cover the dead body of my brother? So he
became of those who regret.
32. For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel
that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for
mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever
keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men; and certainly
Our apostles came to them with clear arguments, but even after
that many of them certainly act extravagantly in the land.
33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and
His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this,
that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and
their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be
imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world,
in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement,
34. Except those who repent before you have them in your
power; so know that Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
35. O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and
seek means of nearness to Him and strive hard in His way that
you may be successful.
36. Surely (as for) those who disbelieve, even if they had what
is in the earth, all of it, and the like of it with it, that they
ransom themselves with it from the punishment of the day of
resurrection, it shall not be accepted from them, and they shall
have a painful punishment.
37. They would desire to go forth from the fire, and they shall
not go forth from it, and they shall have a lasting punishment.
38. And (as for) the man who steals and the woman who
steals, cut off their hands as a punishment for what they have
earned, an exemplary punishment from Allah; and Allah is
39. But whoever repents after his iniquity and reforms (himself),
then surely Allah will turn to him (mercifully); surely Allah
is Forgiving, Merciful.
40. Do you not know that Allah-- His is the kingdom of the
heavens and the earth; He chastises whom He pleases; and forgives
whom He pleases and Allah has power over all things.
41. O Apostle! let not those grieve you who strive together in
hastening to unbelief from among those who say with their
mouths: We believe, and their hearts do not believe, and from
among those who are Jews; they are listeners for the sake of a lie,
listeners for another people who have not come to you; they alter
the words from their places, saying: If you are given this, take
and if you are not given this, be cautious; and as for him whose
temptation Allah desires, you cannot control anything for him
with Allah. Those are they for whom Allah does not desire that
He should purify their hearts; they shall have disgrace in this
world, and they shall have a grievous chastisement in the hereafter.
42. (They are) listeners of a lie, devourers of what is forbidden;
therefore if they come to you, judge between them or
turn aside from them, and if you turn aside from them, they shall
not harm you in any way; and if you judge, judge between them
with equity; surely Allah loves those who judge equitably.
43. And how do they make you a judge and they have the
Taurat wherein is Allah's judgment? Yet they turn back after
that, and these are not the believers.
44. Surely We revealed the Taurat in which was guidance and
light; with it the prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah)
judged (matters) for those who were Jews, and the masters of
Divine knowledge and the doctors, because they were required
to guard (part) of the Book of Allah, and they were witnesses
thereof; therefore fear not the people and fear Me, and do not
take a small price for My communications; and whoever did not
judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unbelievers.
45. And We prescribed to them in it that life is for life, and
eye for eye, and nose for nose, and ear for ear, and tooth for
tooth, and (that there is) reprisal in wounds; but he who foregoes
it, it shall be an expiation for him; and whoever did not judge
what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unjust.
46. And We sent after them in their footsteps Isa, son of
Marium, verifying what was before him of the Taurat and We
gave him the Injeel in which was guidance and light, and verifying
what was before it of Taurat and a guidance and an admonition
for those who guard (against evil).
47. And the followers of the Injeel should have judged by
what Allah revealed in it; and whoever did not judge by what
Allah revealed, those are they that are the transgressors.
48. And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth,
verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it,
therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and
do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth
that has come to you; for every one of you did We appoint a law
and a way, and if Allah had pleased He would have made you
(all) a single people, but that He might try you in what He gave
you, therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous
deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let
know that in which you differed;
49. And that you should judge between them by what Allah
has revealed, and do not follow their low desires, and be cautious
of them, lest they seduce you from part of what Allah has
revealed to you; but if they turn back, then know that Allah
desires to afflict them on account of some of their faults; and
most surely many of the people are transgressors.
50. Is it then the judgment of (the times of) ignorance that
they desire? And who is better than Allah to judge for a people
who are sure?
51. O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians
for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst
you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely
Allah does not guide the unjust people.
52. But you will see those in whose hearts is a disease hastening
towards them, saying: We fear lest a calamity should befall
us; but it may be that Allah will bring the victory or a punish
ment from Himself, so that they shall be regretting on account of
what they hid in their souls.
53. And those who believe will say: Are these they who swore
by Allah with the most forcible of their oaths that they were
most surely with you? Their deeds shall go for nothing, so they
shall become losers.
54. O you who believe! whoever from among you turns back
from his religion, then Allah will bring a people, He shall love
them and they shall love Him, lowly before the believers, mighty
against the unbelievers, they shall strive hard in Allah's way and
shall not fear the censure of any censurer; this is Allah's Face,
He gives it to whom He pleases, and Allah is Ample-giving, Knowing.
55. Only Allah is your Vali and His Apostle and those who
believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while
56. And whoever takes Allah and His apostle and those who
believe for a guardian, then surely the party of Allah are they
that shall be triumphant.
57. O you who believe! do not take for guardians those who
take your religion for a mockery and a joke, from among those
who were given the Book before you and the unbelievers; and be
careful of (your duty to) Allah if you are believers.
58. And when you call to prayer they make it a mockery and a
joke; this is because they are a people who do not understand.
59. Say: O followers of the Book! do you find fault with us
(for aught) except that we believe in Allah and in what has been
revealed to us and what was revealed before, and that most of
you are transgressors?
60. Say: Shall I inform you of (him who is) worse than this in
retribution from Allah? (Worse is he) whom Allah has cursed
and brought His wrath upon, and of whom He made apes and
swine, and he who served the Shaitan; these are worse in place
and more erring from the straight path.
61. And when they come to you, they say: We believe; and
indeed they come in with unbelief and indeed they go forth with
it; and Allah knows best what they concealed.
62. And you will see many of them striving with one another
to hasten in sin and exceeding the limits, and their eating of what
is unlawfully acquired; certainly evil is that which they do.
63. Why do not the learned men and the doctors of law
prohibit them from their speaking of what is sinful and their
eating of what is unlawfully acquired? Certainly evil is that
which they work.
64. And the Jews say: The hand of Allah is tied up! Their
hands shall be shackled and they shall be cursed for what they
say. Nay, both His hands are spread out, He expends as He
pleases; and what has been revealed to you from your Lord will
certainly make many of them increase in inordinacy and unbelief;
and We have put enmity and hatred among them till the day of
resurrection; whenever they kindle a fire for war Allah puts it
out, and they strive to make mischief in the land; and Allah does
not love the mischief-makers.
65. And if the followers of the Book had believed and guarded
(against evil) We would certainly have covered their evil deeds
and We would certainly have made them enter gardens of bliss
66. And if they had kept up the Taurat and the Injeel and that
which was revealed to them from their Lord, they would certainly
have eaten from above them and from beneath their feet
there is a party of them keeping to the moderate course, and (as
for) most of them, evil is that which they do
67. O Apostle! deliver what bas been revealed to you from
your Lord; and if you do it not, then you have not delivered His
message, and Allah will protect you from the people; surely
Allah will not guide the unbelieving people.
68. Say: O followers of the Book! you follow no good till you
keep up the Taurat and the Injeel and that which is revealed to
you from your Lord; and surely that which has been revealed to
you from your Lord shall make many of them increase in
inordinacy and unbelief; grieve not therefore for the unbelieving
69. Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the
Sabians and the Christians whoever believes in Allah and the
last day and does good-- they shall have no fear nor shall they
70. Certainly We made a covenant with the children of Israel
and We sent to them apostles; whenever there came to them an
apostle with what that their souls did not desire, some (of them)
did they call liars and some they slew.
71. And they thought that there would be no affliction, so
they became blind and deaf; then Allah turned to them mercifully,
but many of them became blind and deaf; and Allah is well
seeing what they do.
72. Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely Allah, He is the
Messiah, son of Marium; and the Messiah said: O Children of
Israel! serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Surely whoever
associates (others) with Allah, then Allah has forbidden to him
the garden, and his abode is the fire; and there shall be no
helpers for the unjust.
73. Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely Allah is the
third (person) of the three; and there is no god but the one God,
and if they desist not from what they say, a painful chastisement
shall befall those among them who disbelieve.
74. Will they not then turn to Allah and ask His forgiveness?
And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
75. The Messiah, son of Marium is but an apostle; apostles
before him have indeed passed away; and his mother was a
truthful woman; they both used to eat food. See how We make
the communications clear to them, then behold, how they are
76. Say: Do you serve besides Allah that which does not
control for you any harm, or any profit? And Allah-- He is the
Hearing, the Knowing.
77. Say: O followers of the Book! be not unduly immoderate
in your religion, and do not follow the low desires of people who
went astray before and led many astray and went astray from the
78. Those who disbelieved from among the children of Israel
were cursed by the tongue of Dawood and Isa, son of Marium;
this was because they disobeyed and used to exceed the limit.
79. They used not to forbid each other the hateful things
(which) they did; certainly evil was that which they did.
80. You will see many of them befriending those who disbelieve;
certainly evil is that which their souls have sent before
for them, that Allah became displeased with them and in chastisement
shall they abide.
81. And had they believed in Allah and the prophet and what
was revealed to him, they would not have taken them for friends
but! most of them are transgressors.
82. Certainly you will find the most violent of people in
enmity for those who believe (to be) the Jews and those who are
polytheists, and you will certainly find the nearest in friendship
to those who believe (to be) those who say: We are Christians;
this is because there are priests and monks among them and
because they do not behave proudly.
83. And when they hear what has been revealed to the apostle
you will see their eyes overflowing with tears on account of the
truth that they recognize; they say: Our Lord! we believe, so
write us down with the witnesses (of truth).
84. And what (reason) have we that we should not believe in
Allah and in the truth that has come to us, while we earnestly
desire that our Lord should cause us to enter with the good
85. Therefore Allah rewarded them on account of what they
said, with gardens in which rivers flow to abide in them; and this
is the reward of those who do good (to others).
86. And (as for) those who disbelieve and reject Our communications,
these are the companions of the flame.
87. O you who believe! do not forbid (yourselves) the good
things which Allah has made lawful for you and do not exceed
the limits; surely Allah does not love those who exceed the
88. And eat of the lawful and good (things) that Allah has
given you, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, in Whom you
89. Allah does not call you to account for what is vain in your
oaths, but He calls you to account for the making of deliberate
oaths; so its expiation is the feeding of ten poor men out of the
middling (food) you feed your families with, or their clothing,
the freeing of a neck; but whosoever cannot find (means) then
fasting for three days; this is the expiation of your oaths when
you swear; and guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to
you His communications, that you may be Fateful.
90. O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and
(sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by) arrows are only
uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may
91. The Shaitan only desires to cause enmity and hatred to
spring in your midst by means of intoxicants and games of
chance, and to keep you off from the remembrance of Allah and
from prayer. Will you then desist?
92. And obey Allah and obey the apostle and be cautious; but
if you turn back, then know that only a clear deliverance of the
message is (incumbent) on Our apostle.
93. On those who believe and do good there is no blame for
what they eat, when they are careful (of their duty) and believe
and do good deeds, then they are careful (of their duty) and
believe, then they are careful (of their duty) and do good (to
others), and Allah loves those who do good (to others).
94. O you who believe! Allah will certainly try you in respect
of some game which your hands and your lances can reach, that
Allah might know who fears Him in secret; but whoever exceeds
the limit after this, he shall have a painful punishment.
95. O you who believe! do not kill game while you are on
pilgrimage, and whoever among you shall kill it intentionally,
the compensation (of it) is the like of what he killed, from the
cattle, as two just persons among you shall judge, as an offering
to be brought to the Kaaba or the expiation (of it) is the feeding
of the poor or the equivalent of it in fasting, that he may taste
unwholesome result of his deed; Allah has pardoned what is
gone by; and whoever returns (to it), Allah will inflict retribution
on him; and Allah is Mighty, Lord of Retribution.
96. Lawful to you is the game of the sea and its food, a
provision for you and for the travellers, and the game of the land
is forbidden to you so long as you are on pilgrimage, and be
careful of (your duty to) Allah, to Whom you shall be gathered.
97. Allah has made the Kaaba, the sacred house, a maintenance
for the people, and the sacred month and the offerings and
the sacrificial animals with garlands; this is that you may know
that Allah knows whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in
the earth, and that Allah is the Knower of all things.
98. Know that Allah is severe in requiting (evil) and that
Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
99. Nothing is (incumbent) on the Apostle but to deliver (the
message), and Allah knows what you do openly and what you
100. Say: The bad and the good are not equal, though the
abundance of the bad may please you; so be careful of (your
duty to) Allah, O men of understanding, that you may be
101. O you who believe! do not put questions about things
which if declared to you may trouble you, and if you question
about them when the Quran is being revealed, they shall be
declared to you; Allah pardons this, and Allah is Forgiving,
102. A people before you indeed asked such questions, and
then became disbelievers on account of them.
103. Allah has not ordained (the making of) a bahirah or a
saibah or a wasilah or a hami but those who disbelieve fabricate
a lie against Allah, and most of them do not understand.
104. And when it is said to them, Come to what Allah has
revealed and to the Apostle, they say: That on which we found
our fathers is sufficient for us. What! even though their fathers
knew nothing and did not follow the right way.
105. O you who believe! take care of your souls; he who errs
cannot hurt you when you are on the right way; to Allah is your
return, of all (of you), so He will inform you of what you did.
106. O you who believe! call to witness between you when
death draws nigh to one of you, at the time of making the will,
two just persons from among you, or two others from among
others than you, if you are travelling in the land and the calamity
of death befalls you; the two (witnesses) you should detain after
the prayer; then if you doubt (them), they shall both swear by
Allah, (saying): We will not take for it a price, though there be
relative, and we will not hide the testimony of Allah for then
certainly we should be among the sinners.
107. Then if it becomes known that they both have been
guilty of a sin, two others shall stand up in their place from
among those who have a claim against them, the two nearest in
kin; so they two should swear by Allah: Certainly our testimony
is truer than the testimony of those two, and we have not
exceeded the limit, for then most surely we should be of the
108. This is more proper in order that they should give testimony
truly or fear that other oaths be given after their oaths;
and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, and hear; and Allah does
not guide the transgressing people.
109. On the day when Allah will assemble the apostles, then
say: What answer were you given? They shall say: We have no
knowledge, surely Thou art the great Knower of the unseen
110. When Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! Remember
My favor on you and on your mother, when I strengthened you I
with the holy Spirit, you spoke to the people in the cradle and
when of old age, and when I taught you the Book and the
wisdom and the Taurat and the Injeel; and when you determined
out of clay a thing like the form of a bird by My permission, then
you breathed into it and it became a bird by My permission, and
you healed the blind and the leprous by My permission; and
when you brought forth the dead by My permission; and when I
withheld the children of Israel from you when you came to them
with clear arguments, but those who disbelieved among them
said: This is nothing but clear enchantment.
111. And when I revealed to the disciples, saying, Believe in
Me and My apostle, they said: We believe and bear witness that
we submit (ourselves).
112. When the disciples said: O Isa son of Marium! will your
Lord consent to send down to us food from heaven? He said: Be
careful of (your duty to) Allah if you are believers.
113. They said: We desire that we should eat of it and that our
hearts should be at rest, and that we may know that you have
indeed spoken the truth to us and that we may be of the witnesses
114. Isa the son of Marium said: O Allah, our Lord! send i
down to us food from heaven which should be to us an ever-recurring
happiness, to the first of us and to the last of us, and a
sign from Thee, and grant us means of subsistence, and Thou art
the best of the Providers.
115. Allah said: Surely I will send it down to you, but whoever
shall disbelieve afterwards from among you, surely I will
chastise him with a chastisement with which I will not chastise,
anyone among the nations.
116. And when Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! did you
say to men, Take me and my mother for two gods besides Allah
he will say: Glory be to Thee, it did not befit me that I should
what I had no right to (say); if I had said it, Thou wouldst indeed
have known it; Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I do not
know what is in Thy mind, surely Thou art the great Knower of
the unseen things.
117. 1 did not say to them aught save what Thou didst enjoin
me with: That serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord, and I was a
witness of them so long as I was among them, but when Thou
didst cause me to die, Thou wert the watcher over them, and
Thou art witness of all things.
118. If Thou shouldst chastise them, then surely they are Thy
servants; and if Thou shouldst forgive them, then surely Thou
art the Mighty, the Wise.
119. Allah will say: This is the day when their truth shall
benefit the truthful ones; they shall have gardens beneath which
rivers flow to abide in them for ever: Allah is well pleased with
them and they are well pleased with Allah; this is the mighty
120. Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and
what is in them; and He has power over all things.