1. (This is a declaration of) immunity by Allah and His
Apostle towards those of the idolaters with whom you made an
2. So go about in the land for four months and know that you
cannot weaken Allah and that Allah will bring disgrace to the
3. And an announcement from Allah and His Apostle to the
people on the day of the greater pilgrimage that Allah and His
Apostle are free from liability to the idolaters; therefore if you
repent, it will be better for you, and if you turn back, then know
that you will not weaken Allah; and announce painful punishment
to those who disbelieve.
4. Except those of the idolaters with whom you made an
agreement, then they have not failed you in anything and have
not backed up any one against you, so fulfill their agreement to
the end of their term; surely Allah loves those who are careful
5. So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the
idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and
besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if
they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their
way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
6. And if one of the idolaters seek protection from you, grant
him protection till he hears the word of Allah, then make him
attain his place of safety; this is because they are a people who
7. How can there be an agreement for the idolaters with Allah
and with His Apostle; except those with whom you made an
agreement at the Sacred Mosque? So as long as they are true to
you, be true to them; surely Allah loves those who are careful (of
8. How (can it be)! while if they prevail against you, they
would not pay regard in your case to ties of relationship, nor
those of covenant; they please you with their mouths while their
hearts do not consent; and most of them are transgressors.
9. They have taken a small price for the communications of
Allah, so they turn away from His way; surely evil is it that they
10. They do not pay regard to ties of relationship nor those of
covenant in the case of a believer; and these are they who go
beyond the limits.
11. But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate,
they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications
clear for a people who know.
12. And if they break their oaths after their agreement and
(openly) revile your religion, then fight the leaders of unbelief--
surely their oaths are nothing-- so that they may desist.
13. What! will you not fight a people who broke their oaths
and aimed at the expulsion of the Apostle, and they attacked
you first; do you fear them? But Allah is most deserving that you
should fear Him, if you are believers.
14. Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and
bring them to disgrace, and assist you against them and heal the
hearts of a believing people.
15. And remove the rage of their hearts; and Allah turns
(mercifully) to whom He pleases, and Allah is Knowing, Wise.
16. What! do you think that you will be left alone while Allah
has not yet known those of you who have struggled hard and
have not taken any one as an adherent besides Allah and His
Apostle and the believers; and Allah is aware of what you do.
17. The idolaters have no right to visit the mosques of Allah
while bearing witness to unbelief against themselves, these it is
whose doings are null, and in the fire shall they abide.
18. Only he shall visit the mosques of Allah who believes in
Allah and the latter day, and keeps up prayer and pays the poor-rate
and fears none but Allah; so (as for) these, it may be that
they are of the followers of the right course.
19. What! do you make (one who undertakes) the giving of
drink to the pilgrims and the guarding of the Sacred Mosque like
him who believes in Allah and the latter day and strives hard in
Allah's way? They are not equal with Allah; and Allah does not
guide the unjust people.
20. Those who believed and fled (their homes), and strove
hard in Allah's way with their property and their souls, are much
higher in rank with Allah; and those are they who are the
achievers (of their objects).
21. Their Lord gives them good news of mercy from Himself
and (His) good pleasure and gardens, wherein lasting blessings
shall be theirs;
22. Abiding therein for ever; surely Allah has a Mighty reward
23. O you who believe! do not take your fathers and your
brothers for guardians if they love unbelief more than belief; and
whoever of you takes them for a guardian, these it is that are the
24. Say: If your fathers and your sons and your brethren and
your mates and your kinsfolk and property which you have
acquired, and the slackness of trade which you fear and dwellings
which you like, are dearer to you than Allah and His Apostle
and striving in His way, then wait till Allah brings about His
command: and Allah does not guide the transgressing people.
25. Certainly Allah helped you in many battlefields and on
the day of Hunain, when your great numbers made you vain, but
they availed you nothing and the earth became strait to you
notwithstanding its spaciousness, then you turned back retreating.
Then Allah sent down His tranquillity upon His Apostle
and upon the believers, and sent down hosts which you did not
see, and chastised those who disbelieved, and that is the reward
of the unbelievers.
27. Then will Allah after this turn (mercifully) to whom He
pleases, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
28. O you who believe! the idolaters are nothing but unclean,
so they shall not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year;
and if you fear poverty then Allah will enrich you out of His
grace if He please; surely Allah is Knowing Wise.
29. Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter
day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have
prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who
have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment
of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.
30. And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the
Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the
words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who
disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned
31. They have taken their doctors of law and their monks for
lords besides Allah, and (also) the Messiah son of Marium and
they were enjoined that they should serve one God only, there is
no god but He; far from His glory be what they set up (with
32. They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths,
and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the
unbelievers are averse.
33. He it is Who sent His Apostle with guidance and the
religion of truth, that He might cause it to prevail over all
religions, though the polytheists may be averse.
34. O you who believe! most surely many of the doctors of
law and the monks eat away the property of men falsely, and
turn (them) from Allah's way; and (as for) those who hoard up
gold and silver and do not spend it in Allah's way, announce to
them a painful chastisement,
35. On the day when it shall be heated in the fire of hell, then
their foreheads and their sides and their backs shall be branded
with it; this is what you hoarded up for yourselves, therefore
taste what you hoarded.
36. Surely the number of months with Allah is twelve months
in Allah's ordinance since the day when He created the heavens
and the earth, of these four being sacred; that is the right
reckoning; therefore be not unjust to yourselves regarding them,
and fight the polytheists all together as they fight you all together;
and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil).
37. Postponing (of the sacred month) is only an addition in
unbelief, wherewith those who disbelieve are led astray, violating
it one year and keeping it sacred another, that they may agree in
the number (of months) that Allah has made sacred, and thus
violate what Allah has made sacred; the evil of their doings is
made fairseeming to them; and Allah does not guide the unbelieving
38. O you who believe! What (excuse) have you that when it is
said to you: Go forth in Allah's way, you should incline heavily
to earth; are you contented with this world's life instead of the
hereafter? But the provision of this world's life compared with
the hereafter is but little.
39. If you do not go forth, He will chastise you with a painful
chastisement and bring in your place a people other than you,
and you will do Him no harm; and Allah has power over all
40. If you will not aid him, Allah certainly aided him when
those who disbelieved expelled him, he being the second of the
two, when they were both in the cave, when he said to his
companion: Grieve not, surely Allah is with us. So Allah sent
down His tranquillity upon him and strengthened him with hosts
which you did not see, and made lowest the word of those who
disbelieved; and the word of Allah, that is the highest; and Allah
is Mighty, Wise.
41. Go forth light and heavy, and strive hard in Allah's way
with your property and your persons; this is better for you, if
42. Had it been a near advantage and a short journey, they
would certainly have followed you, but the tedious journey was
too long for them; and they swear by Allah: If we had been able,
we would certainly have gone forth with you; they cause their
own souls to perish, and Allah knows that they are most surely
43. Allah pardon you! Why did you give them leave until
those who spoke the truth had become manifest to you and you
had known the liars?
44. They do not ask leave of you who believe in Allah and the
latter day (to stay away) from striving hard with their property
and their persons, and Allah knows those who guard (against
45. They only ask leave of you who do not believe in Allah
and the latter day and their hearts are in doubt, so in their doubt
do they waver.
46. And if they had intended to go forth, they would certainly
have provided equipment for it, but Allah did not like their
going forth, so He withheld them, and it was said (to them):
Hold back with those who hold back.
47. Had they gone forth with you, they would not have added
to you aught save corruption, and they would certainly have
hurried about among you seeking (to sow) dissension among
you, and among you there are those who hearken for their sake;
and Allah knows the unjust.
48. Certainly they sought (to sow) dissension before, and they
meditated plots against you until the truth came, and Allah's
commandment prevailed although they were averse (from it).
49. And among them there is he who says: Allow me and do
not try me. Surely into trial have they already tumbled down,
and most surely hell encompasses the unbelievers.
50. If good befalls you, it grieves them, and if hardship afflicts
you, they say: Indeed we had taken care of our affair before; and
they turn back and are glad.
51. Say: Nothing will afflict us save what Allah has ordained
for us; He is our.Patron; and on Allah let the believers rely.
52. Say: Do you await for us but one of two most excellent
things? And we await for you that Allah will afflict you with
punishment from Himself or by our hands. So wait; we too will
wait with you.
53. Say: Spend willingly or unwillingly, it shall not be accepted
from you; surely you are a transgressing people.
54. And nothing hinders their spendings being accepted from
them, except that they disbelieve in Allah and in His Apostle and
they do not come to prayer but while they are sluggish, and they
do not spend but while they are unwilling.
55. Let not then their property and their children excite your
admiration; Allah only wishes to chastise them with these in this
world's life and (that) their souls may depart while they are
56. And they swear by Allah that they are most surely of you,
and they are not of you, but they are a people who are afraid (of
57. If they could find a refuge or cave or a place to enter into,
they would certainly have turned thereto, running away in all
58. And of them there are those who blame you with respect
to the alms; so if they are given from it they are pleased, and
they are not given from it, lo! they are full of rage.
59. And if they were content with what Allah and His Apostle
gave them, and had said: Allah is sufficient for us; Allah will
soon give us (more) out of His grace and His Apostle too; surely
to Allah do we make our petition.
60. Alms are only for the poor and the needy, and the officials
(appointed) over them, and those whose hearts are made to
incline (to truth) and the (ransoming of) captives and those in
debts and in the way of Allah and the wayfarer; an ordinance
from Allah; and Allah is knowing, Wise.
61. And there are some of them who molest the Prophet and
say: He is one who believes every thing that he hears; say: A
hearer of good for you (who) believes in Allah and believes the
faithful and a mercy for those of you who believe; and (as for)
those who molest the Apostle of Allah, they shall have a painful
62. They swear to you by Allah that they might please you
and, Allah, as well as His Apostle, has a greater right that they
should please Him, if they are believers.
63. Do they not know that whoever acts in opposition to
Allah and His Apostle, he shall surely have the fire of hell to
abide in it? That is the grievous abasement.
64. The hypocrites fear lest a chapter should be sent down to
them telling them plainly of what is in their hearts. Say: Go on
mocking, surely Allah will bring forth what you fear.
65. And if you should question them, they would certainly
say: We were only idly discoursing and sporting. Say: Was it at
Allah and His communications and His Apostle that you mocked?
66. Do not make excuses; you have denied indeed after you
had believed; if We pardon a party of you, We will chastise
(another) party because they are guilty.
67. The hypocritical men and the hypocritical women are all
alike; they enjoin evil and forbid good and withhold their hands;
they have forsaken Allah, so He has forsaken them; surely the
hypocrites are the transgressors.
68. Allah has promised the hypocritical men and the hypocritical
women and the unbelievers the fire of hell to abide
therein; it is enough for them; and Allah has cursed them and
they shall have lasting punishment.
69. Like those before you; they were stronger than you in
power and more abundant in wealth and children, so they enjoyed
their portion; thus have you enjoyed your portion as those
before you enjoyed their portion; and you entered into vain
discourses like the vain discourses in which entered those before
you. These are they whose works are null in this world and the
hereafter, and these are they who are the losers.
70. Has not the news of those before them come to them; of
the people of Nuh and Ad and Samood, and the people of
Ibrahim and the dwellers of Madyan and the overthrown cities;
their apostles came to them with clear arguments; so it was not
Allah Who should do them injustice, but they were unjust to
71. And (as for) the believing men and the believing women,
they are guardians of each other; they enjoin good and forbid
evil and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, and obey Allah
and His Apostle; (as for) these, Allah will show mercy to them;
surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.
72. Allah has promised to the believing men and the believing
women gardens, beneath which rivers flow, to abide in them,
and goodly dwellings in gardens of perpetual abode; and best of
all is Allah's goodly pleasure; that is the grand achievement.
73. O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the
hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell,
and evil is the destination.
74. They swear by Allah that they did not speak, and certainly
they did speak, the word of unbelief, and disbelieved after their
Islam, and they had determined upon what they have not been
able to effect, and they did not find fault except because Allah
and His Apostle enriched them out of His grace; therefore if they
repent, it will be good for them; and if they turn back, Allah will
chastise them with a painful chastisement in this world and the
hereafter, and they shall not have in the land any guardian or a
75. And there are those of them who made a covenant with
Allah: If He give us out of His grace, we will certainly give alms
and we will certainly be of the good.
76. But when He gave them out of His grace, they became
niggardly of it and they turned back and they withdrew.
77. So He made hypocrisy to follow as a consequence into
their hearts till the day when they shall meet Him because they
failed to perform towards Allah what they had promised with
Him and because they told lies.
78. Do they not know that Allah knows their hidden thoughts
and their secret counsels, and that Allah is the great Knower of
the unseen things?
79. They who taunt those of the faithful who give their alms
freely, and those who give to the extent of their earnings and
scoff at them; Allah will pay them back their scoffing, and they
shall have a painful chastisement.
80. Ask forgiveness for them or do not ask forgiveness for
them; even if you ask forgiveness for them seventy times, Allah
will not forgive them; this is because they disbelieve in Allah
His Apostle, and Allah does not guide the transgressing people.
81. Those who were left behind were glad on account of their
sitting behind Allah's Apostle and they were averse from striving
m Allah's way with their property and their persons, and said:
Do not go forth in the heat. Say: The fire of hell is much severe
in heat. Would that they understood (it).
82. Therefore they shall laugh little and weep much as a
recompense for what they earned.
83. Therefore if Allah brings you back to a party of them
and then they ask your permission to go forth, say: By no means
shall you ever go forth with me and by no means shall you fight
an enemy with me; surely you chose to sit the first time, therefore
sit (now) with those who remain behind.
84. And never offer prayer for any one of them who dies and
do not stand by his grave; surely they disbelieve in Allah and His
Apostle and they shall die in transgression.
85 And let not their property and their children excite your
admlration; Allah only wishes to chastise them with these in this
world and (that) their souls may depart while they are
86. And whenever a chapter is revealed, saying: Believe in
Allah and strive hard along with His Apostle, those having
ampleness of means ask permission of you and say: Leave us
(behind), that we may be with those who sit.
87. They preferred to be with those who remained behind,
and a seal is set on their hearts so they do not understand.
88. But the Apostle and those who believe with him strive
hard with their property and their persons; and these it is who
shall have the good things and these it is who shall be
89. Allah has prepared for them gardens beneath which rivers
flow, to abide in them; that is the great achievement.
And the defaulters from among the dwellers of the desert
came that permission may be given to them and they sat (at
home) who lied to Allah and His Apostle; a painful chastisement
shall afflict those of them who disbelieved.
91. It shall be no crime in the weak, nor in the sick, nor in
those who do not find what they should spend (to stay behind),
so long as they are sincere to Allah and His Apostle; there is no
way (to blame) against the doers of good; and Allah is Forgiving,
92. Nor in those who when they came to you that you might
carry them, you said: I cannot find that on which to carry you;
they went back while their eyes overflowed with tears on account
of grief for not finding that which they should spend.
93. The way (to blame) is only against those who ask permission
of you though they are rich; they have chosen to be with
those who remained behind, and Allah has set a seal upon their
hearts so they do not know.
94. They will excuse themselves to you when you go back to
them. Say: Urge no excuse, by no means will we believe you;
indeed Allah has informed us of matters relating to you; and
now Allah and His Apostle will see your doings, then you shall
be brought back to the Knower of the unseen and the seen, then
He will inform you of what you did.
95. They will swear to you by Allah when you return to them
so that you may turn aside from them; so do turn aside from
them; surely they are unclean and their abode is hell; a recompense
for what they earned.
96. They will swear to you that you may be pleased with
them; but if you are pleased with them, yet surely Allah is not
pleased with the transgressing people.
97. The dwellers of the desert are very hard in unbelief and
hypocrisy, and more disposed not to know the limits of what
Allah has revealed to His Apostle; and Allah is Knowing, Wise.
98. And of the dwellers of the desert are those who take what
they spend to be a fine, and they wait (the befalling of) calamities
to you; on them (will be) the evil calamity; and Allah is Hearing,
99. And of the dwellers of the desert are those who believe in
Allah and the latter day and take what they spend to be (means
of) the nearness of Allah and the Apostle's prayers; surely it shall
be means of nearness for them; Allah will make them enter into
His mercy; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
100. And (as for) the foremost, the first of the Muhajirs and
the Ansars, and those who followed them in goodness, Allah is
well pleased with them and they are well pleased with Him, and
He has prepared for them gardens beneath which rivers flOw, to
abide in them for ever; that is the mighty achievement.
101. And from among those who are round about you of the
dwellers of the desert there are hypocrites, and from among the
people of Medina (also); they are stubborn in hypocrisy; you do
not know them; We know them; We will chastise them twice
then shall they be turned back to a grievous chastisement
102. And others have confessed their faults, they have mingled
a good deed and an evil one; may be Allah will turn to them
(mercifully); surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
103. Take alms out of their property, you would cleanse them
and purify them thereby, and pray for them; surely your prayer
is a relief to them; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.
104. Do they not know that Allah accepts repentance from
His servants and takes the alms, and that Allah is the Oft-returning
(to mercy), the Merciful?
105. And say: Work; so Allah will see your work and (so will)
His Apostle and the believers; and you shall be brought back to
the Knower of the unseen and the seen, then He will inform you
of what you did.
106. And others are made to await Allah's command, whether
He chastise them or whether He turn to them (mercifully), and
Allah is Knowing, Wise.
107 And those who built a masjid to cause harm and for
unbelief and to cause disunion among the believers and an
ambush to him who made war against Allah and His Apostle
before; and they will certainly swear: We did not desire aught
but good; and Allah bears witness that they are most surely
108. Never stand in it; certainly a masjid founded on piety
from the very first day is more deserving that you should stand
in it; in it are men who love that they should be purified; and
Allah loves those who purify themselves.
109. Is he, therefore, better who lays his foundation on fear of
Allah and (His) good pleasure, or he who lays his foundation on
the edge of a cracking hollowed bank, so it broke down with him
into the fire of hell; and Allah does not guide the unjust
110. The building which they have built will ever continue to
be a source of disquiet in their hearts, except that their hearts
cut into pieces; and Allah is Knowing, Wise.
111. Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons
and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they
fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain; a promise which
is binding on Him in the Taurat and the Injeel and the Quran;
and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Rejoice
therefore in the pledge which you have made; and that is the
112. They who turn (to Allah), who serve (Him), who praise
(Him), who fast, who bow down, who prostrate themselves, who
enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil, and who keep the
limits of Allah; and give good news to the believers.
113. It is not (fit) for the Prophet and those who believe that
they should ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even though they
should be near relatives, after it has become clear to them that
they are inmates of the flaming fire.
114. And Ibrahim asking forgiveness for his sire was only
owing to a promise which he had made to him; but when it
became clear to him that he was an enemy of Allah, he declared
himself to be clear of him; most surely Ibrahim was very tender-hearted
115. It is not (attributable to) Allah that He should lead a
people astray after He has guided them; He even makes clear to
them what they should guard against; surely Allah knows all
116. Surely Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the
earth; He brings to life and causes to die; and there is not for
besides Allah any Guardian or Helper.
117. Certainly Allah has turned (mercifully) to the Prophet
and those who fled (their homes) and the helpers who followed
him in the hour of straitness after the hearts of a part of them
were about to deviate, then He turned to them (mercifully);
surely to them He is Compassionate, Merciful.
118. And to the three who were left behind, until the earth
became strait to them notwithstanding its spaciousness and their
souls were also straitened to them; and they knew it for certain
that there was no refuge from Allah but in Him; then He turned
to them (mercifully) that they might turn (to Him); surely Allah
is the Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful.
119. O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah
and be with the true ones.
120. It did not beseem the people of Medina and those round
about them of the dwellers of the desert to remain behind the
Apostle of Allah, nor should they desire (anything) for themselves
in preference to him; this is because there afflicts them not
thirst or fatigue or hunger in Allah's way, nor do they tread a
path which enrages the unbelievers, nor do they attain from the
enemy what they attain, but a good work is written down to
them on account of it; surely Allah does not waste the reward of
the doers of good;
121. Nor do they spend anything that may be spent, small or
great, nor do they traverse a valley, but it is written down to
credit, that Allah may reward them with the best of what they
122. And it does not beseem the believers that they should go
forth all together; why should not then a company from every
party from among them go forth that they may apply themselves
to obtain understanding in religion, and that they may warn
their people when they come back to them that they may be
123. O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are
near to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that
Allah is with those who guard (against evil).
124. And whenever a chapter is revealed, there are some of
them who say: Which of you has it strengthened in faith? Then
as for those who believe, it strengthens them in faith and they
125. And as for those in whose hearts is a disease, it adds
uncleanness to their uncleanness and they die while they are
126. Do they not see that they are tried once or twice in every
year, yet they do not turn (to Allah) nor do they mind.
127. And whenever a chapter is revealed, they cast glances at
one another: Does any one see you? Then they turn away: Allah
has turned away their hearts because they are a people who do
128. Certainly an Apostle has come to you from among yourselves;
grievous to him is your falling into distress, excessively
solicitous respecting you; to the believers (he is)
129. But if they turn back, say: Allah is sufficient for me,
there is no god but He; on Him do I rely, and He is the Lord of