1. Alif Lam Ra. These are the verses of the wise Book.
2. What! is it a wonder to the people that We revealed to a
man from among themselves, saying: Warn the people and give
good news to those who believe that theirs is a footing of
firmness with their Lord. The unbelievers say: This is most
surely a manifest enchanter.
3. Surely your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and
the earth in six periods, and He is firm in power, regulating the
affair, there is no intercessor except aher His permission; this
Allah, your Lord, therefore serve Him; will you not then mind?
4. To Him is your return, of all (of you); the promise of Allah
(made) in truth; surely He begins the creation in the first mstance,
then He reproduces it, that He may with justice recompense
those who believe and do good; and (as for) those who
disbelieve, they shall have a drink of hot water and painful
punishment because they disbelieved.
5. He it is Who made the sun a shining brightness and the
moon a light, and ordained for it mansions that you might know
the computation of years and the reckoning. Allah did not create
it but with truth; He makes the signs manifest for a people who
6. Most surely in the variation of the night and the day, and
what Allah has created in the heavens and the earth, there are
signs for a people who guard (against evil).
7. Surely those who do not hope in Our meeting and are
pleased with this world's life and are content with it, and those
who are heedless of Our communications:
8. (As for) those, their abode is the fire because of what they
9. Surely (as for) those who believe and do good, their Lord
will guide them by their faith; there shall flOw from beneath
them rivers in gardens of bliss.
10. Their cry in it shall be: Glory to Thee, O Allah! and their
greeting in it shall be: Peace; and the last of their cry shall
Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
11. And if Allah should hasten the evil to men as they desire
the hastening on of good, their doom should certainly have been
decreed for them; but We leave those alone who hope not for
Our meeting in their inordinacy, blindly wandering on.
12. And when affliction touches a man, he calls on Us, whether
lying on his side or sitting or standing; but when We remove his
affliction from him, he passes on as though he had never called
on Us on account of an affliction that touched him; thus that
which they do is made fair-seeming to the extravagant.
13. And certainly We did destroy generations before you
when they were unjust, and their apostles had come to them with
clear arguments, and they would not believe; thus do We recompense
the guilty people.
14. Then We made you successors in the land after them so
that We may see how you act.
15. And when Our clear communications are recited to them,
those who hope not for Our meeting say: Bring a Quran other
than this or change it. Say: It does not beseem me that I should
change it of myself; I follow naught but what is revealed to me;
surely I fear, if I disobey my Lord, the punishment of a mighty
16. Say: If Allah had desired (otherwise) I would not have
recited it to you, nor would He have taught it to you; indeed I
have lived a lifetime among you before it; do you not then
17. Who is then more unjust than who forges a lie against
Allah or (who) gives the lie to His communications? Surely the
guilty shall not be successful.
18. And they serve beside Allah what can neither harm them
nor profit them, and they say: These are our intercessors with
Allah. Say: Do you (presume to) inform Allah of what He
knows not in the heavens and the earth? Glory be to Him, and
supremely exalted is He above what they set up (with Him).
19. And people are naught but a single nation, so they disagree;
and had not a word already gone forth from your Lord,
the matter would have certainly been decided between them in
respect of that concerning which they disagree.
20. And they say: Why is not a sign sent to him from his
Lord? Say: The unseen is only for Allah; therefore wait-- surely
too, with you am of those who wait.
21. And when We make people taste of mercy after an affliction
touches them, lo ! they devise plans against Our communication.
Say: Allah is quicker to plan; surely Our messengers write
down what you plan.
22. He it is Who makes you travel by land and sea; until when
you are in the ships, and they sail on with them in a pleasant
breeze, and they rejoice, a violent wind overtakes them and the
billows surge in on them from all sides, and they become certain
that they are encompassed about, they pray to Allah, being
sincere to Him in obedience: If Thou dost deliver us from this,
we will most certainly be of the grateful ones.
23. But when He delivers them, lo! they are unjustly rebellious
in the earth. O men! your rebellion is against your own
souls-- provision (only) of this world's life-- then to Us shall
your return, so We will inform you of what you did.
24. The likeness of this world's life is only as water which We
send down from the cloud, then the herbage of the earth of
which men and cattle eat grows luxuriantly thereby, until when
the earth puts on its golden raiment and it becomes garnished,
and its people think that they have power over it, Our command
comes to it, by night or by day, so We render it as reaped seed;
produce, as though it had not been in existence yesterday; thus
do We make clear the communications for a people who reflect.
25. And Allah invites to the abode of peace and guides whom
He pleases into the right path.
26. For those who do good is good (reward) and more (than
this); and blackness or ignominy shall not cover their faces; these
are the dwellers of the garden; in it they shall abide.
27. And (as for) those who have earned evil, the punishment
of an evil is the like of it, and abasement shall come upon them--
they shall have none to protect them from Allah-- as if their
faces had been covered with slices of the dense darkness of night;
these are the inmates of the fire; in it they shall abide.
28. And on the day when We will gather them all together,
then We will say to those who associated others (with Allah):
Keep where you are, you and your associates; then We shall
separate them widely one from another and their associates
would say: It was not us that you served:
29. Therefore Allah is sufficient as a witness between us and
you that we were quite unaware of your serving (us).
30. There shall every soul become acquainted with what it
sent before, and they shall be brought back to Allah, their true
Patron, and what they devised shall escape from them.
31. Say: Who gives you sustenance from the heaven and the
earth? Or Who controls the hearing and the sight? And Who
brings forth the living from the dead, and brings forth the dead
from the living? And Who regulates the affairs? Then they will
say: Allah. Say then: Will you not then guard (against evil)?
32. This then is Allah, your true Lord; and what is there after
the truth but error; how are you then turned back?
33. Thus does the word of your Lord prove true against those
who transgress that they do not believe.
34. Say: Is there any one among your associates who can
bring into existence the creation in the first instance, then reproduce
it? Say: Allah brings the creation into existence, then He
reproduces it; how are you then turned away?
35. Say: Is there any of your associates who guides to the
truth? Say: Allah guides to the truth. Is He then Who guides to
the truth more worthy to be followed, or he who himself does
not go aright unless he is guided? What then is the matter with
you; how do you judge?
36. And most of them do not follow (anything) but conjecture;
surely conjecture will not avail aught against the truth;
surely Allah is cognizant of what they do.
37. And this Quran is not such as could be forged by those
besides Allah, but it is a verification of that which is before
a clear explanation of the book, there is no doubt in it, from the
Lord of the worlds.
38. Or do they say: He has forged it? Say: Then bring a
chapter like this and invite whom you can besides Allah, if you
39. Nay, they reject that of which they have no comprehensive
knowledge, and the final sequel of it has not yet come to them;
even thus did those before them reject (the truth); see then what
was the end of the unjust.
40. And of them is he who believes in it, and of them is he
who does not believe in it, and your Lord best knows the
41. And if they call you a liar, say: My work is for me and
your work for you; you are clear of what I do and I am clear of
what you do.
42. And there are those of them who hear you, but can you
make the deaf to hear though they will not understand?
43. And there are those of them who look at you, but can you
show the way to the blind though they will not see?
44. Surely Allah does not do any injustice to men, but men
are unjust to themselves.
45. And on the day when He will gather them as though they
had not stayed but an hour of the day, they will know each
other. They will perish indeed who called the meeting with Allah
to be a lie, and they are not followers of the right direction.
46. And if We show you something of what We threaten them
with, or cause you to die, yet to Us is their return, and Allah
the bearer of witness to what they do.
47. And every nation had an apostle; so when their apostle
came, the matter was decided between them with justice and they
shall not be dealt with unjustly.
48. And they say: When will this threat come about, if you are
49. Say: I do not control for myself any harm, or any benefit
except what Allah pleases; every nation has a term; when their
term comes, they shall not then remain behind for an hour, nor
can they go before (their time).
50. Say: Tell me if His punishment overtakes you by night or
by day! what then is there of it that the guilty would hasten on?
51. And when it comes to pass, will you believe in it? What!
now (you believe), and already you wished to have it hastened on.
52. Then it shall be said to those who were unjust: Taste
abiding chastisement; you are not requited except for what you
53. And they ask you: Is that true? Say: Aye! by my Lord! it is
most surely the truth, and you will not escape.
54. And if every soul that has done injustice had all that is in
the earth, it would offer it for ransom, and they will manifest
regret when they see the chastisement and the matter shall be
decided between them with justice and they shall not be dealt
55. Now surely Allah's is what is in the heavens and the earth;
now surely Allah's promise is true, but most of them do not
56. He gives life and causes death, and to Him you shall be
57. O men! there has come to you indeed an admonition from
your Lord and a healing for what is in the breasts and a guidance
and a mercy for the believers.
58. Say: In the grace of Allah and in His mercy-- in that they
should rejoice; it is better than that which they gather.
59. Say: Tell me what Allah has sent down for you of sustenance,
then you make (a part) of it unlawful and (a part)
lawful. Say: Has Allah commanded you, or do you forge a lie
60. And what will be the thought of those who forge lies
against Allah on the day of resurrection? Most surely Allah is
the Lord of grace towards men, but most of them do not give
61. And you are not (engaged) in any affair, nor do you recite
concerning it any portion of the Quran, nor do you do any work
but We are witnesses over you when you enter into it, and there
does not lie concealed from your Lord the weight of an atom in
the earth or in the heaven, nor any thing less than that nor
greater, but it is in a clear book.
62. Now surely the friends of Allah-- they shall have no fear
nor shall they grieve.
63. Those who believe and guarded (against evil):
64. They shall have good news in this world's life and in the
hereafter; there is no changing the words of Allah; that is the
65. And let not their speech grieve you; surely might is wholly
Allah's; He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
66. Now, surely, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in
the earth is Allah's; and they do not (really) follow any associates,
who call on others besides Allah; they do not follow
(anything) but conjectures, and they only lie.
67. He it is Who made for you the night that you might rest in
it, and the day giving light; most surely there are signs in it
people who would hear.
68. They say: Allah has taken a son (to Himself)! Glory be to
Him: He is the Self-sufficient: His is what is in the heavens and
what is in the earth; you have no authority for this; do you say
against Allah what you do not know?
69. Say: Those who forge a lie against Allah shall not be
70. (It is only) a provision in this world, then to Us shall be
their return; then We shall make them taste severe punishment
because they disbelieved.
71. And recite to them the story of Nuh when he said to his
people: O my people! if my stay and my reminding (you) by the
communications of Allah is hard on you-- yet on Allah do I
rely-- then resolve upon your affair and (gather) your associates,
then let not your affair remain dubious to you, then have it
executed against me and give me no respite:
72. But if you turn back, I did not ask for any reward from
you; my reward is only with Allah, and I am commanded that I
should be of those who submit.
73. But they rejected him, so We delivered him and those with
him in the ark, and We made them rulers and drowned those
who rejected Our communications; see then what was the end of
the (people) warned.
74. Then did We raise up after him apostles to their people, so
they came to them with clear arguments, but they would not
believe in what they had rejected before; thus it is that We set
seals upon the hearts of those who exceed the limits.
75. Then did We send up after them Musa and Haroun to
Firon and his chiefs with Our signs, but they showed pride and
they were a guilty people.
76. So when the truth came to them from Us they said: This is
most surely clear enchantment!
77. Musa said: Do you say (this) of the truth when it has come
to you? Is it magic? And the magicians are not successful.
78. They said: Have you come to us to turn us away from
what we found our fathers upon, and (that) greatness in the land
should be for you two? And we are not going to believe in you.
79. And Firon said: Bring to me every skillful magician.
80. And when the magicians came, Musa said to them: Cast
down what you have to cast.
81. So when they cast down, Musa said to them: What you
have brought is deception; surely Allah will make it naught;
surely Allah does not make the work of mischief-makers to
82. And Allah will show the truth to be the truth by His
words, though the guilty may be averse (to it).
83. But none believed in Musa except the offspring of his
people, on account of the fear of Firon and their chiefs, lest he
should persecute them; and most surely Firon was lofty in the
land; and most surely he was of the extravagant.
84. And Musa said: O my people! if you believe in Allah, then
rely on Him (alone) if you submit (to Allah).
85. So they said: On Allah we rely: O our Lord! make us not
subject to the persecution of the unjust people:
86. And do Thou deliver us by Thy mercy from the unbelieving
87. And We revealed to Musa and his brother, saying: Take
for your people houses to abide in Egypt and make your houses
places of worship and keep up prayer and give good news to the
88. And Musa said: Our Lord! surely Thou hast given to
Firon and his chiefs finery and riches in this world's life, to
end, our Lord, that they lead (people) astray from Thy way: Our
Lord! destroy their riches and harden their hearts so that they
believe not until they see the painful punishment.
89. He said: The prayer of you both has indeed been accepted,
therefore continue in the right way and do not follow the path of
those who do not know.
90. And We made the children of Israel to pass through the
sea, then Firon and his hosts followed them for oppression and
tyranny; until when drowning overtook him, he said: I believe
that there is no god but He in Whom the children of Israel
believe and I am of those who submit.
91. What! now! and indeed you disobeyed before and you
were of the mischief-makers.
92. But We will this day deliver you with your body that you
may be a sign to those after you, and most surely the majority of
the people are heedless to Our communications.
93. And certainly We lodged the children of Israel in a goodly
abode and We provided them with good things; but they did not
disagree until the knowledge had come to them; surely your
Lord will judge between them on the resurrection day concerning
that in which they disagreed.
94. But if you are in doubt as to what We have revealed to
you, ask those who read the Book before you; certainly the truth
has come to you from your Lord, therefore you should not be of
95. And you should not be of those who reject the communications
of Allah, (for) then you should be one of the losers.
96. Surely those against whom the word of your Lord has
proved true will not believe,
97. Though every sign should come to them, until they witness
the painful chastisement.
98. And wherefore was there not a town which should believe
so that their belief should have profited them but the people of
Yunus? When they believed, We removed from them the chastisement
of disgrace in this world's life and We gave them provision
till a time.
99. And if your Lord had pleased, surely all those who are in
the earth would have believed, all of them; will you then force
men till they become believers?
100. And it is not for a soul to believe except by Allah's
permission; and He casts uncleanness on those who will not
101. Say: Consider what is it that is in the heavens and the
earth; and signs and warners do not avail a people who would
102. What do they wait for then but the like of the days of
those who passed away before them? Say: Wait then; surely I too
am with you of those who wait.
103. Then We deliver Our apostles and those who believe--
even so (now), it is binding on Us (that) We deliver the
104. Say: O people! if you are in doubt as to my religion, then
(know that) I do not serve those whom you serve besides Allah
but I do serve Allah, Who will cause you to die, and I am
commanded that I should be of the believers.
105. And that you should keep your course towards the religion
uprightly; and you should not be of the polytheists.
106. And do not call besides Allah on that which can neither
benefit you nor harm you, for if you do then surely you will in
that case be of the unjust.
107. And if Allah should afflict you with harm, then there is
none to remove it but He; and if He intends good to you there is
none to repel His grace; He brings it to whom He pleases of His
servants; and He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
108. Say: O people! indeed there has come to you the truth
from your Lord, therefore whoever goes aright, he goes aright
only for the good of his own soul, and whoever goes astray, he
goes astray only to the detriment of it, and I am not a custodian
109. And follow what is revealed to you and be patient till
Allah should give judgment, and He is the best of the judges.