1. Alif Lam Mim Ra. These are the verses of the Book; and
that which is revealed to you from your Lord is the truth,
but most people do not believe.
2. Allah is He Who raised the heavens without any pillars
that you see, and He is firm in power and He made the sun
and the moon subservient (to you); each one pursues its
course to an appointed time; He regulates the affair, making
clear the signs that you may be certain of meeting your
3. And He it is Who spread the earth and made in it firm
mountains and rivers, and of all fruits He has made in it
two kinds; He makes the night cover the day; most surely
there are signs in this for a people who reflect.
4. And in the earth there are tracts side by side and
gardens of grapes and corn and palm trees having one root
and (others) having distinct roots-- they are watered with one
water, and We make some of them excel others in fruit; most
surely there are signs in this for a people who understand.
S. And if you would wonder, then wondrous is their saying:
What! when we are dust, shall we then certainly be in a new
creation? These are they who disbelieve in their Lord, and
these have chains on their necks, and they are the inmates
of the fire; in it they shall abide.
6. And they ask you to hasten on the evil before the good,
and indeed there have been exemplary punishments before
them; and most surely your Lord is the Lord of forgiveness
to people, notwithstanding their injustice; and most surely
your Lord is severe in requiting (evil).
7. And those who disbelieve say: Why has not a sign been
sent down upon him from his Lord? You are only a warner and
(there is) a guide for every people.
8. Allah knows what every female bears, and that of which
the wombs fall short of completion and that in which they
increase; and there is a measure with Him of everything.
9. The knower of the unseen and the seen, the Great, the
10. Alike (to Him) among you is he who conceals (his) words
and he who speaks them openly, and he who hides himself by
night and (who) goes forth by day.
11 . For his sake there are angels following one another,
before him and behind him, who guard him by Allah's
commandment; surely Allah does not change the condition of a
people until they change their own condition; and when Allah
intends evil to a people, there is no averting it, and
besides Him they have no protector.
12. He it is Who shows you the lightning causing fear and
hope and (Who) brings up the heavy cloud.
13. And the thunder declares His glory with His praise, and
the angels too for awe of Him; and He sends the thunderbolts
and smites with them whom He pleases, yet they dispute
concerning Allah, and He is mighty in prowess.
14. To Him is due the true prayer; and those whom they pray
to besides Allah give them no answer, but (they are) like
one who stretches forth his two hands towards water that it
may reach his mouth, but it will not reach it; and the
prayer of the unbelievers is only in error.
15. And whoever is in the heavens and the earth makes
obeisance to Allah only, willingly and unwillingly, and
their shadows too at morn and eve.
16. Say: Who is the Lord of the heavens and the earth?-- Say:
Allah. Say: Do you take then besides Him guardians who do
not control any profit or harm for themselves? Say: Are the
blind and the seeing alike? Or can the darkness and the
light be equal? Or have they set up with Allah associates
who have created creation like His, so that what is created
became confused to them? Say: Allah is the Creator of all
things, and He is the One, the Supreme.
17. He sends down water from the cloud, then watercourses
flow (with water) according to their measure, and the
torrent bears along the swelling foam, and from what they
melt in the fire for the sake of making ornaments or
apparatus arises a scum like it; thus does Allah compare
truth and falsehood; then as for the scum, it passes away as
a worthless thing; and as for that which profits the people,
it tarries in the earth; thus does Allah set forth parables.
18. For those who respond to their Lord is good; and (as
for) those who do not respond to Him, had they all that is
in the earth and the like thereof with it they would
certainly offer it for a ransom. (As for) those, an evil
reckoning shall be theirs and their abode is hell, and evil
is the resting-place.
19. Is he then who knows that what has been revealed to you
from your Lord is the truth like him who is blind? Only
those possessed of understanding will mind,
20. Those who fulfil the promise of Allah and do not break
21. And those who join that which Allah has bidden to be
joined and have awe of their Lord and fear the evil
22. And those who are constant, seeking the pleasure of
their Lord, and keep up prayer and spend (benevolently) out
of what We have given them secretly and openly and repel
evil with good; as for those, they shall have the (happy)
issue of the abode
23. The gardens of perpetual abode which they will enter
along with those who do good from among their parents and
their spouses and their offspring; and the angels will enter
in upon them from every gate:
24. Peace be on you because you were constant, how
excellent, is then, the issue of the abode.
25. And those who break the covenant of Allah after its
confirmation and cut asunder that which Allah has ordered to
be joined and make mischief in the land; (as for) those,
upon them shall be curse and they shall have the evil
(issue) of the abode.
26. Allah amplifies and straitens the means of subsistence
for whom He pleases; and they rejoice in this world's life,
and this world's life is nothing compared with the hereafter
but a temporary enjoyment.
27. And those who disbelieve say: Why is not a sign sent
down upon him by his Lord? Say: Surely Allah makes him who
will go astray, and guides to Himself those who turn (to
28. Those who believe and whose hearts are set at rest by
the remembrance of Allah; now surely by Allah's remembrance
are the hearts set at rest.
29. (As for) those who believe and do good, a good final
state shall be theirs and a goodly return.
30. And thus We have sent you among a nation before which
other nations have passed away, that you might recite to
them what We have revealed to you and (still) they deny the
Beneficent God. Say: He is my Lord, there is no god but He;
on Him do I rely and to Him is my return.
31. And even if there were a Quran with which the mountains
were made to pass away, or the earth were travelled over
with it, or the dead were made to speak thereby; nay! the
commandment is wholly Allah's, Have not yet those who
believe known that if Allah please He would certainly guide
all the people? And (as for) those who disbelieve, there
will not cease to afflict them because of what they do a
repelling calamity, or it will alight close by their abodes,
until the promise of Allah comes about; surely Allah will
not fail in (His) promise.
32. And apostles before you were certainly mocked at, but I
gave respite to those who disbelieved, then I destroyed
them; how then was My requital (of evil)?
33. Is He then Who watches every soul as to what it earns?
And yet they give associates to Allah! Say: Give them a
name; nay, do you mean to inform Him of what He does not
know in the earth, or (do you affirm this) by an outward
saying? Rather, their plans are made to appear fair-seeming
to those who disbelieve, and they are kept back from the
path; and whom Allah makes err, he shall have no guide.
34. They shall have chastisement in this world's life, and
the chastisement of the hereafter is certainly more
grievous, and they shall have no protector against Allah.
35. A likeness of the garden which the righteous are
promised; there now beneath it rivers, its food and shades
are perpetual; this is the requital of those who guarded
(against evil), and the requital of the unbelievers is the
36. And those to whom We have given the Book rejoice in that
which has been revealed to you, and of the confederates are
some who deny a part of it. Say: I am only commanded that I
should serve Allah and not associate anything with Him, to
Him do I invite (you) and to Him is my return.
37. And thus have We revealed it, a true judgment in Arabic,
and if you follow their low desires after what has come to
you of knowledge, you shall not have against Allah any
guardian or a protector.
38. And certainly We sent apostles before you and gave them
wives and children, and it is not in (the power of) an
apostle to bring a sign except by Allah's permission; for
every term there is an appointment.
39. Allah makes to pass away and establishes what He
pleases, and with Him is the basis of the Book.
40. And We will either let you see part of what We threaten
them with or cause you to die, for only the delivery of the
message is (incumbent) on you, while calling (them) to
account is Our (business).
41. Do they not see that We are bringing destruction upon
the land by curtailing it of its sides? And Allah pronounces
a doom-- there is no repeller of His decree, and He is swift
to take account.
42. And those before them did indeed make plans, but all
planning is Allah's; He knows what every soul earns, and the
unbelievers shall come to know for whom is the (better)
issue of the abode.
43. And those who disbelieve say: You are not a messenger.
Say: Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you and
whoever has knowledge of the Book.