1. Alif Lam Ra. (This is) a Book which We have revealed to
you that you may bring forth men, by their Lord's permission
from utter darkness into light-- to the way of the Mighty, the
2. (Of) Allah, Whose is whatever is in the heavens and
whatever Is in the earth; and woe to the unbelievers on
account of the severe chastisement,
3. (To) those who love this world's life more than the
hereafter, and turn away from Allah's path and desire to
make it crooked; these are in a great error.
4. And We did not send any apostle but with the language of
his people, so that he might explain to them clearly; then
Allah makes whom He pleases err and He guides whom He
pleases and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
5. And certainly We sent Musa with Our communications,
saying: Bring forth your people from utter darkness into
light and remind them of the days of Allah; most surely
there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one.
6. And when Musa said to his people: Call to mind Allah's
favor to you when He delivered you from Firon's people, who
subjected you to severe torment, and slew your sons and
spared your women; and in this there was a great trial from
7. And when your Lord made it known: If you are grateful, I
would certainly give to you more, and if you are ungrateful,
My chastisement is truly severe.
8. And Musa said: If you are ungrateful, you and those on
earth all together, most surely Allah is Self-sufficient,
9. Has not the account reached you of those before you, of
the people of Nuh and Ad and Samood, and those after them?
None knows them but Allah. Their apostles come to them with
clear arguments, but they thrust their hands into their
mouths and said: Surely we deny that with which you are
sent, and most surely we are in serious doubt as to that to
which you invite us.
10. Their apostles said: Is there doubt about Allah, the
Maker of the heavens and the earth? He invites you to
forgive you your faults and to respite you till an appointed
term. They said: You are nothing but mortals like us; you
wish to turn us away from what our fathers used to worship;
bring us therefore some clear authority.
11. Their apostles said to them: We are nothing but mortals
like yourselves, but Allah bestows (His) favors on whom He
pleases of His servants, and it is not for us that we should
bring you an authority except by Allah's permission; and on
Allah should the believers rely.
12. And what reason have we that we should not rely on
Allah? And He has indeed guided us in our ways; and
certainly we would bear with patience your persecution of
us; and on Allah should the reliant rely.
13. And those who disbelieved said to their apostles: We
will most certainly drive you forth from our land, or else
you shall come back into our religion. So their Lord
revealed to them: Most certainly We will destroy the unjust.
14. And most certainly We will settle you in the land after
them; this is for him who fears standing in My presence and
who fears My threat.
15. And they asked for judgment and every insolent opposer
16. Hell is before him and he shall be given to drink of
17. He will drink it little by little and will not be able
to swallow it agreeably, and death will come to him from
every quarter, but he shall not die; and there shall be
vehement chastisement before him.
18. The parable of those who disbelieve in their Lord: their
actions are like ashes on which the wind blows hard on a
stormy day; they shall not have power over any thing out of
what they have earned; this is the great error.
19. Do you not see that Allah created the heavens and the
earth with truth? If He please He will take you off and
bring a new creation,
20. And this is not difficult for Allah.
21. And they shall all come forth before Allah, then the
weak shall say to those who were proud: Surely we were your
followers, can you therefore avert from us any part of the
chastisement of Allah? They would say: If Allah had guided
us, we too would have guided you; it is the same to us
whether we are impatient (now) or patient, there is no place
for us to fly to.
22. And the Shaitan shall say after the affair is decided:
Surely Allah promised you the promise of truth, and I gave
you promises, then failed to keep them to you, and I had no
authority over you, except that I called you and you obeyed
me, therefore do not blame me but blame yourselves: I cannot
be your aider (now) nor can you be my aiders; surely I
disbelieved in your associating me with Allah before; surely
it is the unjust that shall have the painful punishment.
23. And those who believe and do good are made to enter
gardens, beneath which rivers flow, to abide in them by
their Lord's permission; their greeting therein is, Peace.
24. Have you not considered how Allah sets forth a parable
of a good word (being) like a good tree, whose root is firm
and whose branches are in heaven,
25. Yielding its fruit in every season by the permission of
its Lord? And Allah sets forth parables for men that they
may be mindful.
26. And the parable of an evil word is as an evil tree
pulled up from the earth's surface; it has no stability.
27. Allah confirms those who believe with the sure word in
this world's life and in the hereafter, and Allah causes the
unjust to go astray, and Allah does what He pleases.
28. Have you not seen those who have changed Allah's favor
for ungratefulness and made their people to alight into the
abode of perdition
29. (Into j hell? They shall enter into it and an evil place
it is to settle in.
30. And they set up equals with Allah that they may lead
(people) astray from His path. Say: Enjoy yourselves, for
surely your return is to the fire.
31. Say to My servants who believe that they should keep up
prayer and spend out of what We have given them secretly and
openly before the coming of the day in which there shall be
no bartering nor mutual befriending.
32. Allah is He Who created the heavens and the earth and
sent down water from the clouds, then brought forth with it
fruits as a sustenance for you, and He has made the ships
subservient to you, that they might run their course in the
sea by His command, and He has made the rivers subservient
33. And He has made subservient to you the sun and the moon
pursuing their courses, and He has made subservient to you
the night and the day.
34. And He gives you of all that you ask Him; and if you
count Allah's favors, you will not be able to number them;
most surely man is very unjust, very ungrateful.
35. And when Ibrahim said: My Lord! make this city secure,
and save me and my sons from worshipping idols:
36. My Lord! surely they have led many men astray; then
whoever follows me, he is surely of me, and whoever disobeys
me, Thou surely arc Forgiving, Merciful:
37. O our Lord! surely I have settled a part of my offspring
in a valley unproductive of fruit near Thy Sacred House, our
Lord! that they may keep up prayer; therefore make the
hearts of some people yearn towards them and provide them
with fruits; haply they may be grateful:
38. O our Lord! Surely Thou knowest what we hide and what we
make public, and nothing in the earth nor any thing in
heaven is hidden from Allah:
39. Praise be to Allah, Who has given me in old age Ismail
and Ishaq; most surely my Lord is the Hearer of prayer:
40. My Lord! make me keep up prayer and from my offspring
(too), O our Lord, and accept my prayer:
41. O our Lord! grant me protection and my parents and the
believers on the day when the reckoning shall come to pass!
42. And do not think Allah to be heedless of what the unjust
do; He only respites them to a day on which the eyes shall
be fixedly open,
43. Hastening forward, their heads upraised, their eyes not
reverting to them and their hearts vacant.
44. And warn people of the day when the chastisement shall
come to them, then those who were unjust will say: O our
Lord! respite us to a near term, (so) we shall respond to
Thy call and follow the apostles. What! did you not swear
before (that) there will be no passing away for you!
45. And you dwell in the abodes of those who were unjust to
themselves, and it is clear to you how We dealt with them
and We have made (them) examples to you.
46. And they have indeed planned their plan, but their plan
is with Allah, though their plan was such that the mountains
should pass away thereby.
47. Therefore do not think Allah (to be one) failing in His
promise to His apostles; surely Allah is Mighty, the Lord of
48. On the day when the earth shall be changed into a
different earth, and the heavens (as well), and they shall
come forth before Allah, the One, the Supreme.
49. And you will see the guilty on that day linked together
50. Their shirts made of pitch and the fire covering their
51. That Allah may requite each soul (according to) what it
has earned; surely Allah is swift in reckoning.
52. This is a sufficient exposition for the people and that
they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He
is One God and that those possessed of understanding may