1. Alif Lam Ra. These are the verses of the Book and (of) a
Quran that makes (things) clear.
2. Often will those who disbelieve wish that they had been
3. Leave them that they may eat and enjoy themselves and
(that) hope may beguile them, for they will soon know.
4. And never did We destroy a town but it had a term made
5. No people can hasten on their doom nor can they postpone
6. And they say: O you to whom the Reminder has been
revealed! you are most surely insane:
7. Why do you not bring to us the angels if you are of the
8. We do not send the angels but with truth, and then they
would not be respited.
9 Surely We have revealed the Reminder and We will most
surely be its guardian.
10. And certainly We sent (apostles) before you among the
nations of yore.
11. And there never came an apostle to them but they mocked
12. Thus do We make it to enter into the hearts of the
13. They do not believe in it, and indeed the example of the
former people has already passed.
14. And even if We open to them a gateway of heaven, so that
they ascend into it all the while,
15. They would certainly say: Only our eyes.have been
covered over, rather we are an enchanted people.
16. And certainly We have made strongholds in the heaven and
We have made it fair seeming to the beholders.
17. And We guard it against every accursed Shaitan,
18. But he who steals a hearing, so there follows him a
19. And the earth-- We have spread it forth and made in it
firm mountains and caused to grow in it of every suitable
20. And We have made in it means of subsistence for you and
for him for whom you are not the suppliers.
21. And there is not a thing but with Us are the treasures
of it, and We do not send it down but in a known measure.
22. And We send the winds fertilizing, then send down water
from the cloud so We give it to you to drink of, nor is it
you who store it up.
23. And most surely We bring to life and cause to die and We
are the heirs.
24. And certainly We know those of you who have gone before
and We certainly know those who shall come later.
25. And surely your Lord will gather them together; surely
He is Wise, Knowing.
26. And certainly We created man of clay that gives forth
sound, of black mud fashioned in shape.
27. And the jinn We created before, of intensely hot fire.
28. And when your Lord said to the angels: Surely I am going
to create a mortal of the essence of black mud fashioned in
29. So when I have made him complete and breathed into him
of My spirit, fall down making obeisance to him.
30. So the angels made obeisance, all of them together,
31. But Iblis (did it not); he refused to be with those who
32. He said: O Iblis! what excuse have you that you are not
with those who make obeisance?
33. He said: I am not such that I should make obeisance to a
mortal whom Thou hast created of the essence of black mud
fashioned in shape.
34. He said: Then get out of it, for surely you are driven
35. And surely on you is curse until the day of judgment.
36. He said: My Lord! then respite me till the time when
they are raised.
37. He said: So surely you are of the respited ones
38. Till the period of the time made known.
39. He said: My Lord! because Thou hast made life evil to
me, I will certainly make (evil) fair-seeming to them on
earth, and I will certainly cause them all to deviate
40. Except Thy servants from among them, the devoted ones.
41. He said: This is a right way with Me:
42. Surely. as regards My servants, you have no authority
,over them except those who follow you of the deviators.
43. And surely Hell is the promised place of them all:
44. It has seven gates; for every gate there shall be a
separate party of them.
45. Surely those who guard (against evil) shall be in the
midst of gardens and fountains:
46. Enter them in peace, secure.
47. And We will root out whatever of rancor is in their
breasts-- (they shall be) as brethren, on raised couches, face
48. Toil shall not afflict them in it, nor shall they be
ever ejected from it.
49. Inform My servants that I am the Forgiving, the
50. And that My punishment-- that is the painful punishment.
51. And inform them of the guests of Ibrahim:
52. When they entered upon him, they said, Peace. He said:
Surely we are afraid of you.
53. They said: Be not afraid, surely we give you the good
news of a boy, possessing knowledge.
54. He said: Do you give me good news (of a son) when old
age has come upon me?-- Of what then do you give me good
news! SS. They said: We give you good news with truth,
therefore be not of the despairing.
56. He said: And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord but
the erring ones?
57. He said: What is your business then, O messengers?
58. They said: Surely we are sent towards a guilty people,
59. Except Lut's followers: We will most surely deliver them
60. Except his wife; We ordained that she shall surely be of
those who remain behind.
61. So when the messengers came to Lut's followers,
62. He said: Surely you are an unknown people.
63. They said: Nay, we have come to you with that about
which they disputed.
64. And we have come to you with the truth, and we are most
65. Therefore go forth with your followers in a part of the
night and yourself follow their rear, and let not any one of
you turn round, and go forth whither you are commanded.
66. And We revealed to him this decree, that the roots of
these shall be cut off in the morning.
67. And the people of the town came rejoicing.
68. He said: Surely these are my guests, therefore do not
69. And guard against (the punishment of) Allah and do not
put me to shame.
70. They said: Have we not forbidden you from (other)
71. He said: These are my daughters, if you will do (aught).
72. By your life! they were blindly wandering on in their
73. So the rumbling overtook them (while) entering upon the
time of sunrise;
74. Thus did We turn it upside down, and rained down upon
them stones of what had been decreed.
75. Surely in this are signs for those who examine.
76. And surely it is on a road that still abides.
77. Most surely there is a sign in this for the believers.
78. And the dwellers of the thicket also were most surely
79. So We inflicted retribution on them, and they are both,
indeed, on an open road (still) pursued.
80. And the dwellers of the Rock certainly rejected the
81. And We gave them Our communications, but they turned
aside from them;
82. And they hewed houses in the mountains in security.
83. So the rumbling overtook them in the morning;
84. And what they earned did not avail them.
85. And We did not create the heavens and the earth and what
is between them two but in truth; and the hour is most
surely coming, so turn away with kindly forgiveness.
86. Surely your Lord is the Creator of all things, the
87. And certainly We have given you seven of the
oft-repeated (verses) and the grand Quran.
88. Do not strain your eyes after what We have given certain
classes of them to enjoy, and do not grieve for them, and
make yourself gentle to the believers.
89. And say: Surely I am the plain warner.
90. Like as We sent down on the dividers
91. Those who made the Quran into shreds.
92. So, by your Lord, We would most certainly question them
93. As to what they did.
94. Therefore declare openly what you are bidden and turn
aside from the polytheists.
95. Surely We will suffice you against the scoffers
96. Those who set up another god with Allah; so they shall
97. And surely We know that your breast straitens at what
98. Therefore celebrate the praise of your Lord, and be of
those who make obeisance.
99. And serve your Lord until there comes to you that which