1. Glory be to Him Who made His servant to go on a night
from the Sacred Mosque to the remote mosque of which We have
blessed the precincts, so that We may show to him some of
Our signs; surely He is the Hearing, the Seeing.
2. And We gave Musa the Book and made it a guidance to the
children of Israel, saying: Do not take a protector besides
3. The offspring of those whom We bore with Nuh; surely he
was a grateful servant.
4. And We had made known to the children of Israel in the
Book: Most certainly you will make mischief in the land
twice, and most certainly you will behave insolently with
5. So when the promise for the first of the two came, We
sent over you Our servants, of mighty prowess, so they went
to and fro among the houses, and it was a promise to be
6. Then We gave you back the turn to prevail against them,
and aided you with wealth and children and made you a
7. If you do good, you will do good for your own souls, and
if you do evil, it shall be for them. So when the second
promise came (We raised another people) that they may bring
you to grief and that they may enter the mosque as they
entered it the first time, and that they might destroy
whatever they gained ascendancy over with utter destruction.
8. It may be that your Lord will have mercy on you, and if
you again return (to disobedience) We too will return (to
punishment), and We have made hell a prison for the
9. Surely this Quran guides to that which is most upright
and gives good news to the believers who do good that they
shall have a great reward.
10. And that (as for) those who do not believe in the
hereafter, We have prepared for them a painful chastisement.
11. And man prays for evil as he ought to pray for good, and
man is ever hasty.
12. And We have made the night and the day two signs, then
We have made the sign of the night to pass away and We have
made the sign of the day manifest, so that you may seek
grace from your Lord, and that you might know the numbering
of years and the reckoning; and We have explained everything
13. And We have made every man's actions to cling to his
neck, and We will bring forth to him on the resurrection day
a book which he will find wide open:
14. Read your book; your own self is sufficient as a
reckoner against you this day.
15. Whoever goes aright, for his own soul does he go aright;
and whoever goes astray, to its detriment only does he go
astray: nor can the bearer of a burden bear the burden of
another, nor do We chastise until We raise an apostle.
16. And when We wish to destroy a town, We send Our
commandment to the people of it who lead easy lives, but
they transgress therein; thus the word proves true against
it, so We destroy it with utter destruction.
17. And how many of the generations did We destroy after
Nuh! and your Lord is sufficient as Knowing and Seeing with
regard to His servants' faults.
18. Whoever desires this present life, We hasten to him
therein what We please for whomsoever We desire, then We
assign to him the hell; he shall enter it despised, driven
19. And whoever desires the hereafter and strives for it as
he ought to strive and he is a believer; (as for) these,
their striving shall surely be accepted.
20. All do We aid-- these as well as those-- out of the bounty
of your Lord, and the bounty of your Lord is not confined.
21. See how We have made some of them to excel others, and
certainly the hereafter is much superior in respect of
22. Do not associate with Allah any other god, lest you sit
down despised, neglected.
23. And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve
(any) but Him, and goodness to your parents. If either or
both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so
much as) "Ugh" nor chide them, and speak to them a generous
24. And make yourself submissively gentle to them with
compassion, and say: O my Lord! have compassion on them, as
they brought me up (when I was) little.
25. Your Lord knows best what is in your minds; if you are
good, then He is surely Forgiving to those who turn (to Him)
26. And give to the near of kin his due and (to) the needy
and the wayfarer, and do not squander wastefully.
27. Surely the squanderers are the fellows of the Shaitans
and the Shaitan is ever ungrateful to his Lord.
28. And if you turn away from them to seek mercy from your
Lord, which you hope for, speak to them a gentle word.
29. And do not make your hand to be shackled to your neck
nor stretch it forth to the utmost (limit) of its stretching
forth, lest you should (afterwards) sit down blamed,
30. Surely your Lord makes plentiful the means of
subsistence for whom He pleases and He straitens (them);
surely He is ever Aware of, Seeing, His servants.
31. And do not kill your children for fear of poverty; We
give them sustenance and yourselves (too); surely to kill
them is a great wrong.
32. And go not nigh to fornication; surely it is an
indecency and an evil way.
33. And do not kill any one whom Allah has forbidden, except
for a just cause, and whoever is slain unjustly, We have
indeed given to his heir authority, so let him not exceed
the just limits in slaying; surely he is aided.
34. And draw not near to the property of the orphan except
in a goodly way till he attains his maturity and fulfill the
promise; surely (every) promise shall be questioned about.
35. And give full measure when you measure out, and weigh
with a true balance; this is fair and better in the end.
36. And follow not that of which you have not the knowledge;
surely the hearing and the sight and the heart, all of
these, shall be questioned about that.
37. And do not go about in the land exultingly, for you
cannot cut through the earth nor reach the mountains in
38. All this-- the evil of it-- is hateful in the sight of your
39. This is of what your Lord has revealed to you of wisdom,
and do not associate any other god with Allah lest you
should be thrown into hell, blamed, cast away.
40. What! has then your Lord preferred to give you sons, and
(for Himself) taken daughters from among the angels? Most
surely you utter a grievous saying.
41. And certainly We have repeated (warnings) in this Quran
that they may be mindful, but it does not add save to their
42. Say: If there were with Him gods as they say, then
certainly they would have been able to seek a way to the
Lord of power.
43. Glory be to Him and exalted be He in high exaltation
above what they say.
44. The seven heavens declare His glory and the earth (too),
and those who are in them; and there is not a single thing
but glorifies Him with His praise, but you do not understand
their glorification; surely He is Forbearing, Forgiving.
45. And when you recite the Quran, We place between you and
those who do not believe in the hereafter a hidden barrier;
46. And We have placed coverings on their hearts and a
heaviness in their ears lest they understand it, and when
you mention your Lord alone in the Quran they turn their
backs in aversion.
47. We know best what they listen to when they listen to
you, and when they take counsel secretly, when the unjust
say: You follow only a man deprived of reason.
48. See what they liken you to! So they have gone astray and
cannot find the way.
49. And they say: What! when we shall have become bones and
decayed particles, shall we then certainly be raised up,
being a new creation?
50. Say: Become stones or iron,
51. Or some other creature of those which are too hard (to
receive life) in your minds! But they will say: Who will
return us? Say: Who created you at first. Still they will
shake their heads at you and say: When will it be? Say:
Maybe it has drawn nigh.
52. On the day when He will call you forth, then shall you
obey Him, giving Him praise, and you will think that you
tarried but a little (while).
53. And say to My servants (that) they speak that which is
best; surely the Shaitan sows dissensions among them; surely
the Shaitan is an open enemy to man.
54. Your Lord knows you best; He will have mercy on you if
He pleases, or He will chastise you if He pleases; and We
have not sent you as being in charge of them. SS. And your
Lord best knows those who are in the heavens and the earth;
and certainly We have made some of the prophets to excel
others, and to Dawood We gave a scripture.
56. Say: Call on those whom you assert besides Him, so they
shall not control the removal of distress from you nor (its)
57. Those whom they call upon, themselves seek the means of
access to their Lord-- whoever of them is nearest-- and they
hope for His mercy and fear His chastisement; surely the
chastisement of your Lord is a thing to be cautious of.
58. And there is not a town but We will destroy it before
the day of resurrection or chastise it with a severe
chastisement; this is written in the Divine ordinance.
59. And nothing could have hindered Us that We should send
signs except that the ancients rejected them; and We gave to
Samood the she-camel-- a manifest sign-- but on her account they
did injustice, and We do not send signs but to make (men)
60. And when We said to you: Surely your Lord encompasses
men; and We did not make the vision which We showed you but
a trial for men and the cursed tree in the Quran as well;
and We cause them to fear, but it only adds to their great
61. And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam;
they made obeisance, but Iblis (did it not). He said: Shall
I make obeisance to him whom Thou hast created of dust?
62. He said: Tell me, is this he whom Thou hast honored
above me? If Thou shouldst respite me to the day of
resurrection, I will most certainly cause his progeny to
perish except a few.
63. He said: Be gone! for whoever of them will follow you,
then surely hell is your recompense, a full recompense:
64. And beguile whomsoever of them you can with your voice,
and collect against them your forces riding and on foot, and
share with them in wealth and children, and hold out
promises to them; and the Shaitan makes not promises to them
but to deceive:
65. Surely (as for) My servants, you have no authority over
them; and your Lord is sufficient as a Protector.
66. Your Lord is He Who speeds the ships for you in the sea
that you may seek of His grace; surely He is ever Merciful
67. And when distress afflicts you in the sea, away go those
whom you call on except He; but when He brings you safe to
the land, you turn aside; and man is ever ungrateful.
68. What! Do you then feel secure that He will not cause a
tract of land to engulf you or send on you a tornado? Then
you shall not find a protector for yourselves.
69. Or, do you feel secure that He will (not) take you back
into it another time, then send on you a fierce gale and
thus drown you on account of your ungratefulness? Then you
shall not find any aider against Us in the matter.
70. And surely We have honored the children of Adam, and We
carry them in the land and the sea, and We have given them
of the good things, and We have made them to excel by an
appropriate excellence over most of those whom We have
71. (Remember) the day when We will call every people with
their Imam; then whoever is given his book in his right
hand, these shall read their book; and they shall not be
dealt with a whit unjustly.
72. And whoever is blind in this, he shall (also) be blind
in the hereafter; and more erring from the way.
73. And surely they had purposed to turn you away from that
which We have revealed to you, that you should forge against
Us other than that, and then they would certainly have taken
you for a friend.
74. And had it not been that We had already established you,
you would certainly have been near to incline to them a
75. In that case We would certainly have made you to taste a
double (punishment) in this life and a double (punishment)
after death, then you would not have found any helper
76. And.surely they purposed to unsettle you from the land
that they might expel you from it, and in that case they
will not tarry behind you but a little.
77. (This is Our) course with regard to those of Our
apostles whom We sent before you, and you shall not find a
change in Our course.
78. Keep up prayer from the declining of the sun till the
darkness of the night and the morning recitation; surely the
morning recitation is witnessed.
79. And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond
what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to
a position of great glory.
80. And say: My Lord! make me to enter a goodly entering,
and cause me to go forth a goodly going forth, and grant me
from near Thee power to assist (me).
81. And say: The truth has come and the falsehood has
vanished; surely falsehood is a vanishing (thing).
82. And We reveal of the Quran that which is a healing and a
mercy to the believers, and it adds only to the perdition of
83. And when We bestow favor on man, he turns aside and
behaves proudly, and when evil afflicts him, he is
84. Say: Every one acts according to his manner; but your
Lord best knows who is best guided in the path.
85. And they ask you about the soul. Say: The soul is one of
the commands of my Lord, and you are not given aught of
knowledge but a little.
86. And if We please, We should certainly take away that
which We have revealed to you, then you would not find for
it any protector against Us.
87. But on account of mercy from your Lord-- surely His grace
to you is abundant.
88. Say: If men and jinn should combine together to bring
the like of this Quran, they could not bring the like of it,
though some of them were aiders of others.
89. And certainly We have explained for men in this Quran
every kind of similitude, but most men do not consent to
aught but denying.
90. And they say: We will by no means believe in you until
you cause a fountain to gush forth from the earth for us.
91. Or you should have a garden of palms and grapes in the
midst of which you should cause rivers to flow forth,
92. Or you should cause the heaven to come down upon us in
pieces as you think, or bring Allah and the angels face to
face (with us).
93. Or you should have a house of gold, or you should ascend
into heaven, and we will not believe in your ascending until
you bring down to us a book which we may read. Say: Glory be
to my Lord; am I aught but a mortal apostle?
94. And nothing prevented people from believing when the
guidance came to them except that they said: What! has Allah
raised up a mortal to be an apostle?
95. Say: Had there been in the earth angels walking about as
settlers, We would certainly have sent down to them from the
heaven an angel as an apostle.
96. Say: Allah suffices as a witness between me and you;
surely He is Aware of His servants, Seeing.
97. And whomsoever Allah guides, he is the follower of the
right way, and whomsoever He causes to err, you shall not
find for him guardians besides Him; and We will gather them
together on the day of resurrection on their faces, blind
and dumb and deaf; their abode is hell; whenever it becomes
allayed We will add to their burning.
98. This is their retribution because they disbelieved in
Our communications and said What! when we shall have become
bones and decayed particles, shall we then indeed be raised
up into a new creation?
99. Do they not consider that Allah, Who created the heavens
and the earth, is able to create their like, and He has
appointed for them a doom about which there is no doubt? But
the unjust do not consent to aught but denying.
100. Say: If you control the treasures of the mercy of my
Lord, then you would withhold (them) from fear of spending,
and man is niggardly.
101. And certainly We gave Musa nine clear signs; so ask the
children of Israel. When he came to them, Firon said to him:
Most surely I deem you, O Musa, to be a man deprived of
102. He said: Truly you know that none but the Lord of the
heavens and the earth has sent down these as clear proof and
most surely I believe you, O Firon, to be given over to
103. So he desired to destroy them out of the earth, but We
drowned him and those with him all together;
104. And We said to the Israelites after him: Dwell in the
land: and when the promise of the next life shall come to
pass, we will bring you both together in judgment.
105. And with truth have We revealed it, and with truth did
it come; and We have not sent you but as the giver of good
news and as a warner.
106. And it is a Quran which We have revealed in portions so
that you may read it to the people by slow degrees, and We
have revealed it, revealing in portions.
107. Say: Believe in it or believe not; surely those who are
given the knowledge before it fall down on their faces,
making obeisance when it is recited to them.
108. And they say: Glory be to our Lord! most surely the
promise of our Lord was to be fulfilled.
109. And they fall down on their faces weeping, and it adds
to their humility.
110. Say: Call upon Allah or call upon, the Beneficent God;
whichever you call upon, He has the best names; and do not
utter your prayer with a very raised voice nor be silent
with regard to it, and seek a way between these.
111. And say: (All) praise is due to Allah, Who has not
taken a son and Who has not a partner in the kingdom, and
Who has not a helper to save Him from disgrace; and proclaim
His greatness magnifying (Him).