1. O people! guard against (the punishment from) your Lord;
surely the violence of the hour is a grievous thing.
2. On the day when you shall see it, every woman giving suck
shall quit in confusion what she suckled, and every pregnant
woman shall lay down her burden, and you shall see men
intoxicated, and they shall not be intoxicated but the
chastisement of Allah will be severe.
3. And among men there is he who disputes about Allah
without knowledge and follows every rebellious Shaitan;
4. Against him it is written down that whoever takes him for
a friend, he shall lead him astray and conduct him to the
chastisement of the burning fire.
5. O people! if you are in doubt about the raising, then
surely We created you from dust, then from a small seed,
then from a clot, then from a lump of flesh, complete in
make and incomplete, that We may make clear to you; and We
cause what We please to stay in the wombs till an appointed
time, then We bring you forth as babies, then that you may
attain your maturity; and of you is he who is caused to die,
and of you is he who is brought back to the worst part of
life, so that after having knowledge he does not know
anything; and you see the earth sterile land, but when We
send down on it the water, it stirs and swells and brings
forth of every kind a beautiful herbage.
6. This is because Allah is the Truth and because He gives
life to the dead and because He has power over all things
7. And because the hour is coming, there is no doubt about
it; and because Allah shall raise up those who are in the
8. And among men there is he who disputes about Allah
without knowledge and without guidance and without an
9. Turning away haughtily that he may lead (others) astray
from the way of Allah; for him is disgrace in this world,
and on the day of resurrection We will make him taste the
punishment of burning:
10. This is due to what your two hands have sent before, and
because Allah is not in the least unjust to the servants.
11. And among men is he who serves Allah (standing) on the
verge, so that if good befalls him he is satisfied
therewith, but if a trial afflict him he turns back
headlong; he loses this world as well as the hereafter; that
is a manifest loss.
12. He calls besides Allah upon that which does not harm him
and that which does not profit him, that is the great
13. He calls upon him whose harm is nearer than his profit;
evil certainly is the guardian and evil certainly is the
14. Surely Allah will cause those who believe and do good
deeds to enter gardens beneath which rivers flow, surely
Allah does what He pleases.
15. Whoever thinks that Allah will not assist him in this
life and the hereafter, let him stretch a rope to the
ceiling, then let him cut (it) off, then let him see if his
struggle will take away that at which he is enraged.
16. And thus have We revealed it, being clear arguments, and
because Allah guides whom He intends.
17. Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the
Sabeans and the Christians and the Magians and those who
associate (others with Allah)-- surely Allah will decide
between them on the day of resurrection; surely Allah is a
witness over all things.
18. Do you not see that Allah is He, Whom obeys whoever is
in the heavens and whoever is in the earth, and the sun and
the moon and the stars, and the mountains and the trees, and
the animals and many of the people; and many there are
against whom chastisement has become necessary; and
whomsoever Allah abases, there is none who can make him
honorable; surely Allah does what He pleases.
19. These are two adversaries who dispute about their Lord;
then (as to) those who disbelieve, for them are cut out
garments of fire, boiling water shall be poured over their
20. With it shall be melted what is in their bellies and
(their) skins as well.
21 And for them are whips of iron.
22 Whenever they will desire to go forth from it, from
grief, they shall be turned back into it, and taste the
chastisement of burning.
23. Surely Allah will make those who believe and do good
deeds enter gardens beneath which rivers flow; they shall be
adorned therein with bracelets of gold and (with) pearls,
and their garments therein shall be of silk.
24. And they are guided to goodly words and they are guided
into the path of the Praised One.
25. Surely (as for) those who disbelieve, and hinder (men)
from Allah's way and from the Sacred Mosque which We have
made equally for all men, (for) the dweller therein and
(for) the visitor, and whoever shall incline therein to
wrong unjustly, We will make him taste of a painful
26. And when We assigned to Ibrahim the place of the House,
saying: Do not associate with Me aught, and purify My House
for those who make the circuit and stand to pray and bow and
27. And proclaim among men the Pilgrimage: they will come to
you on foot and on every lean camel, coming from every
28. That they may witness advantages for them and mention
the name of Allah during stated days over what He has given
them of the cattle quadrupeds, then eat of them and feed the
distressed one, the needy.
29. Then let them accomplish their needful acts of shaving
and cleansing, and let them fulfil their vows and let them
go round the Ancient House.
30. That (shall be so); and whoever respects the sacred
ordinances of Allah, it is better for him with his Lord; and
the cattle are made lawful for you, except that which is
recited to you, therefore avoid the uncleanness of the idols
and avoid false words,
31. Being upright for Allah, not associating aught with Him
and whoever associates (others) with Allah, it is as though
he had fallen from on high, then the birds snatch him away
or the wind carries him off to a far-distant place.
32. That (shall be so); and whoever respects the signs of
Allah, this surely is (the outcome) of the piety of hearts.
33. You have advantages in them till a fixed time, then
their place of sacrifice is the Ancient House.
34. And to every nation We appointed acts of devotion that
they may mention the name of Allah on what He has given them
of the cattle quadrupeds; so your God is One God, therefore
to Him should you submit, and give good news to the humble,
35. (To) those whose hearts tremble when Allah is mentioned,
and those who are patient under that which afflicts them,
and those who keep up prayer, and spend (benevolently) out
of what We have given them.
36. And (as for) the camels, We have made them of the signs
of the religion of Allah for you; for you therein is much
good; therefore mention the name of Allah on them as they
stand in a row, then when they fall down eat of them and
feed the poor man who is contented and the beggar; thus have
We made them subservient to you, that you may be grateful.
37. There does not reach Allah their flesh nor their blood,
but to Him is acceptable the guarding (against evil) on your
part; thus has He made them subservient to you, that you may
magnify Allah because He has guided you aright; and give
good news to those who do good (to others).
38. Surely Allah will defend those who believe; surely Allah
does not love any one who is unfaithful, ungrateful.
39. Permission (to fight) is given to those upon whom war is
made because they are oppressed, and most surely Allah is
well able to assist them;
40. Those who have been expelled from their homes without a
just cause except that they say: Our Lord is Allah. And had
there not been Allah's repelling some people by others,
certainly there would have been pulled down cloisters and
churches and synagogues and mosques in which Allah's name is
much remembered; and surely Allah will help him who helps
His cause; most surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.
41. Those who, should We establish them in the land, will
keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and enjoin good and
forbid evil; and Allah's is the end of affairs.
42. And if they reject you, then already before you did the
people of Nuh and Ad and Samood reject (prophets).
43. And the people of Ibrahim and the people of Lut,
44. As well as those of Madyan and Musa (too) was rejected,
but I gave respite to the unbelievers, then did I overtake
them, so how (severe) was My disapproval.
45. So how many a town did We destroy while it was unjust,
so it was fallen down upon its roofs, and (how many a)
deserted well and palace raised high.
46. Have they not travelled in the land so that they should
have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to
hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but
blind are the hearts which are in the breasts.
47. And they ask you to hasten on the punishment, and Allah
will by no means fail in His promise, and surely a day with
your Lord is as a thousand years of what you number.
48. And how many a town to which I gave respite while it was
unjust, then I overtook it, and to Me is the return.
49. Say: O people! I am only a plain warner to you.
50. Then (as for) those who believe and do good, they shall
have forgiveness and an honorable sustenance.
51. And (as for) those who strive to oppose Our
communications, they shall be the inmates of the flaming
52. And We did not send before you any apostle or prophet,
but when he desired, the Shaitan made a suggestion
respecting his desire; but Allah annuls that which the
Shaitan casts, then does Allah establish His communications,
and Allah is Knowing, Wise,
53. So that He may make what the Shaitan casts a trial for
those in whose hearts is disease and those whose hearts are
hard; and most surely the unjust are in a great opposition,
54. And that those who have been given the knowledge may
know that it is the truth from your Lord, so they may
believe in it and their hearts may be lowly before it; and
most surely Allah is the Guide of those who believe into a
55. And those who disbelieve shall not cease to be in doubt
concerning it until the hour overtakes them suddenly, or
there comes on them the chastisement of a destructive day.
56. The kingdom on that day shall be Allah's; He will judge
between them; so those who believe and do good will be in
gardens of bliss.
57. And (as for) those who disbelieve in and reject Our
communications, these it is who shall have a disgraceful
58. And (as for) those who fly in Allah's way and are then
slain or die, Allah will most certainly grant them a goodly
sustenance, and most surely Allah is the best Giver of
59. He will certainly cause them to enter a place of
entrance which they shall be well pleased with, and most
surely Allah is Knowing, Forbearing.
60. That (shall be so); and he who retaliates with the like
of that with which he has been afflicted and he has been
oppressed, Allah will most certainly aid him; most
surely.Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving.
61. That is because Allah causes the night to enter into the
day and causes the day to enter into the night, and because
Allah is Hearing, Seeing.
62. That is because Allah is the Truth, and that what they
call upon besides Him-- that is the falsehood, and because
Allah is the High, the Great.
63. Do you not see that Allah sends down water from the
cloud so the earth becomes green? Surely Allah is Benignant,
64. His is whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in
the earth; and most surely Allah is the Self-sufficient, the
65. Do you not see that Allah has made subservient to you
whatsoever is in the earth and the ships running in the sea
by His command? And He withholds the heaven from falling on
the earth except with His permission; most surely Allah is
Compassionate, Merciful to men.
66. And He it is Who has brought you to life, then He will
cause you to die, then bring you to life (again); most
surely man is ungrateful.
67. To every nation We appointed acts of devotion which they
observe, therefore they should not dispute with you about
the matter and call to your Lord; most surely you are on a
68. And if they contend with you, say: Allah best knows what
69. Allah will judge between you on the day of resurrection
respecting that in which you differ.
70. Do you not know that Allah knows what is in the heaven
and the earth? Surely this is in a book; surely this is easy
71. And they serve besides Allah that for which He has not
sent any authority, and that of which they have no
knowledge; and for the unjust there shall be no helper.
72. And when Our clear communications are recited to them
you will find denial on the faces of those who disbelieve;
they almost spring upon those who recite to them Our
communications. Say: Shall I inform you of what is worse
than this? The fire; Allah has promised it to those who
disbelieve; and how evil the resort!
73. O people! a parable is set forth, therefore listen to
it: surely those whom you call upon besides Allah cannot
create fly, though they should all gather for it, and should
the fly snatch away anything from them, they could not take
it back from i weak are the invoker and the invoked.
74. They have not estimated Allah with the estimation that i
due to Him; most surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.
75. Allah chooses messengers from among the angels and from
among the men; surely Allah is Hearing, Seeing.
76. He knows what is before them and what is behind them and
to Allah are all affairs turned back.
77. O you who believe! bow down and prostrate yourselves and
serve your Lord, and do.good that you may succeed.
78. And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a striving
a is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon you
an hardship in religion; the faith of your father Ibrahim;
He named you Muslims before and in this, that the Apostle
may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be bearers of
witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer and pay the
poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your Guardian; how
excellent the Guardian and how excellent the Helper!