1. (This is) a chapter which We have revealed and made
obligatory and in which We have revealed clear
communications that you may be mindful.
2. (As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each
of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for
them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you
believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of
believers witness their chastisement.
3. The fornicator shall not marry any but a fornicatress or
idolatress, and (as for) the fornicatress, none shall marry
her but a fornicator or an idolater; and it is forbidden to
4. And those who accuse free women then do not bring four
witnesses, flog them, (giving) eighty stripes, and do not
admit any evidence from them ever; and these it is that are
5. Except those who repent after this and act aright, for
surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
6. And (as for) those who accuse their wives and have no
witnesses except themselves, the evidence of one of these
(should be taken) four times, bearing Allah to witness that
he is most surely of the truthful ones.
7. And the fifth (time) that the curse of Allah be on him if
he is one of the liars.
8. And it shall avert the chastisement from her if she
testify four times, bearing Allah to witness that he is most
surely one of the liars;
9. And the fifth (time) that the wrath of Allah be on her if
he is one of the truthful.
10. And were it not for Allah's grace upon you and His
mercy-- and that Allah is Oft-returning (to mercy), Wise!
11. Surely they who concocted the lie are a party from among
you. Do not regard it an evil to you; nay, it is good for
you. Every man of them shall have what he has earned of sin;
and (as for) him who took upon himself the main part
thereof, he shall have a grievous chastisement.
12. Why did not the believing men and the believing women,
when you heard it, think well of their own people, and say:
This is an evident falsehood?
13. Why did they not bring four witnesses of it? But as they
have not brought witnesses they are liars before Allah.
14. And were it not for Allah's grace upon you and His mercy
in this world and the hereafter, a grievous chastisement
would certainly have touched you on account of the discourse
which you entered into.
15. When you received it with your tongues and spoke with
your mouths what you had no knowledge of, and you deemed it
an easy matter while with Allah it was grievous.
16. And why did you not, when you heard it, say: It does not
beseem us that we should talk of it; glory be to Thee! this
is a great calumny?
17. Allah admonishes you that you should not return to the
like of it ever again if you are believers.
18. And Allah makes clear to you the communications; and
Allah is Knowing, Wise.
19. Surely (as for) those who love that scandal should
circulate respecting those who believe, they shall have a
grievous chastisement in this world and the hereafter; and
Allah knows, while you do not know.
20. And were it not for Allah's grace on you and His mercy,
and that Allah is Compassionate, Merciful.
21. O you who believe! do not follow the footsteps of the
Shaitan, and whoever follows the footsteps of the Shaitan,
then surely he bids the doing of indecency and evil; and
were it not for Allah's grace upon you and His mercy, not
one of you would have ever been pure, but Allah purifies
whom He pleases; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.
22. And let not those of you who possess grace and abundance
swear against giving to the near of kin and the poor and
those who have fled in Allah's way, and they should pardon
and turn away. Do you not love that Allah should forgive
you? And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
23. Surely those who accuse chaste believing women, unaware
(of the evil), are cursed in this world and the hereafter,
and they shall have a grievous chastisement.
24. On the day when their tongues and their hands and their
feet shall bear witness against them as to what they did.
25. On that day Allah will pay back to them in full their
just reward, and they shall know that Allah is the evident
26. Bad women .are for bad men and bad men are for bad
women. Good women are for good men and good men are for good
27. O you who believe! Do not enter houses other than your
own houses until you have asked permission and saluted their
inmates; this is better for you, that you may be mindful.
28. But if you do not find any one therein, then do not
enter them until permission is given to you; and if it is
said to you: Go back, then go back; this is purer for you;
and Allah is Cognizant of what you do.
29. It is no sin in you that you enter uninhabited houses
wherein you have your necessaries; and Allah knows what you
do openly and what you hide.
30. Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks
and guard their private parts; that is purer for them;
surely Allah is Aware of what they do.
31. And say to the believing women that they cast down their
looks and guard their private parts and do not display their
ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear
their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display
their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers,
or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons
of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers'
sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom
their right hands possess, or the male servants not having
need (of women), or the children who have not attained
knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not
strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments
may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so
that you may be successful.
32. And marry those among you who are single and those who
are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves; if
they are needy, Allah will make them free from want out of
His grace; and Allah is Ample-giving, Knowing.
33. And let those who do not find the means to marry keep
chaste until Allah makes them free from want out of His
grace. And (as for) those who ask for a writing from among
those whom your right hands possess, give them the writing
if you know any good in them, and give them of the wealth of
Allah which He has given you; and do not compel your slave
girls to prostitution, when they desire to keep chaste, in
order to seek the frail good of this world's life; and
whoever compels them, then surely after their compulsion
Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
34. And certainly We have sent to you clear communications
and a description of those who have passed away before you,
and an admonition to those who guard (against evil).
35. Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth; a
likeness of His light is as a niche in which is a lamp, the
lamp is in a glass, (and) the glass is as it were a brightly
shining star, lit from a blessed olive-tree, neither eastern
nor western, the oil whereof almost gives light though fire
touch it not-- light upon light-- Allah guides to His light
whom He pleases, and Allah sets forth parables for men, and
Allah is Cognizant of all things.
36. In houses which Allah has permitted to be exalted and
that His name may be remembered in them; there glorify Him
therein in the mornings and the evenings,
37. Men whom neither merchandise nor selling diverts from
the remembrance of Allah and the keeping up of prayer and
the giving of poor-rate; they fear a day in which the hearts
and eyes shall turn about;
38. That Allah may give them the best reward of what they
have done, and give them more out of His grace; and Allah
gives sustenance to whom He pleases without measure.
39. And (as for) those who disbelieve, their deeds are like
the mirage in a desert, which the thirsty man deems to be
water; until when he comes to it he finds it to be naught,
and there he finds Allah, so He pays back to him his
reckoning in full; and Allah is quick in reckoning;
40. Or like utter darkness in the deep sea: there covers it
a wave above which is another wave, above which is a cloud,
(layers of) utter darkness one above another; when he holds
out his hand, he is almost unable to see it; and to
whomsoever Allah does not give light, he has no light.
41. Do you not see that Allah is He Whom do glorify all
those who are in the heavens and the earth, and the (very)
birds with expanded wings? He knows the prayer of each one
and its glorification, and Allah is Cognizant of what they
42. And Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth,
and to Allah is the eventual coming.
43. Do you not see that Allah drives along the clouds, then
gathers them together, then piles them up, so that you see
the rain coming forth from their midst? And He sends down of
the clouds that are (like) mountains wherein is hail,
afflicting therewith whom He pleases and turning it away
from whom He pleases; the flash of His lightning almost
takes away the sight.
44. Allah turns over the night and the day; most surely
there is a lesson in this for those who have sight.
45. And Allah has created from water every living creature:
so of them is that which walks upon its belly, and of them
is that which walks upon two feet, and of them is that which
walks upon four; Allah creates what He pleases; surely Allah
has power over all things.
46. Certainly We have revealed clear communications, and
Allah guides whom He pleases to the right way.
47. And they say: We believe in Allah and in the apostle and
we obey; then a party of them turn back after this, and
these are not believers.
48. And when they are called to Allah and His Apostle that
he may judge between them, lo! a party of them turn aside.
49. And if the truth be on their side, they come to him
50. Is there in their hearts a disease, or are they in
doubt, or do they fear that Allah and His Apostle will act
wrongfully towards them? Nay! they themselves are the
51. The response of the believers, when they are invited to
Allah and His Apostle that he may judge between them, is
only to say: We hear and we obey; and these it is that are
52. And he who obeys Allah and His Apostle, and fears Allah,
and is careful of (his duty to) Him, these it is that are
53. And they swear by Allah with the most energetic of their
oaths that if you command them they would certainly go
forth. Say: Swear not; reasonable obedience (is desired);
surely Allah is aware of what you do.
54. Say: Obey Allah and obey the Apostle; but if you turn
back, then on him rests that which is imposed on him and on
you rests that which is imposed on you; and if you obey him,
you are on the right way; and nothing rests on the Apostle
but clear delivering (of the message).
55. Allah has promised to those of you who believe and do
good that He will most certainly make them rulers in the
earth as He made rulers those before them, and that He will
most certainly establish for them their religion which He
has chosen for them, and that He will most certainly, after
their fear, give them security in exchange; they shall serve
Me, not associating aught with Me; and whoever is ungrateful
after this, these it is who are the. transgressors.
56. And keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and obey the
Apostle, so that mercy may be shown to you.
57. Think not that those who disbelieve shall escape in the
earth, and their abode is the fire; and certainly evil is
58. O you who believe! let those whom your right hands
possess and those of you who have not attained to puberty
ask permission of you three times; before the morning
prayer, and when you put off your clothes at midday in
summer, and after the prayer of the nightfall; these are
three times of privacy for you; neither is it a sin for you
nor for them besides these, some of you must go round about
(waiting) upon others; thus does Allah make clear to you the
communications, and Allah is Knowing, Wise.
59. And when the children among you have attained to
puberty, let them seek permission as those before them
sought permission; thus does Allah make clear to you His
communications, and Allah is knowing, Wise.
60. And (as for) women advanced in years who do not hope for
a marriage, it is no sin for them if they put off their
clothes without displaying their ornaments; and if they
restrain themselves it is better for them; and Allah is
61. There is no blame on the blind man, nor is there blame
on the lame, nor is there blame on the sick, nor on
yourselves that you eat from your houses, or your fathers'
houses or your mothers' houses, or your brothers' houses, or
your sisters' houses, or your paternal uncles' houses, or
your paternal aunts' houses, or your maternal uncles'
houses, or your maternal aunts' houses, or what you possess
the keys of, or your friends' (houses). It is no sin in you
that you eat together or separately. So when you enter
houses, greet your people with a salutation from Allah,
blessed (and) goodly; thus does Allah make clear to you the
communications that you may understand.
62. Only those are believers who believe in Allah and His
Apostle, and when they are with him on a momentous affair
they go not away until they have asked his permission;
surely they who ask your permission are they who believe in
Allah and His Apostle; so when they ask your permission for
some affair of theirs, give permission to whom you please of
them and ask forgiveness for them from Allah; surely Allah
is Forgiving, Merciful.
63. Do not hold the Apostle's calling (you) among you to be
like your calling one to the other; Allah indeed knows those
who steal away from among you, concealing themselves;
therefore let those beware who go against his order lest a
trial afflict them or there befall them a painful
64. Now surely Allah's is whatever is in the heavens and the
earth; He knows indeed that to which you are conforming
yourselves; and on the day on which they are returned to Him
He will inform them of what they did; and Allah is Cognizant
of all things.