1. Ta sin Mim.
2. These are the verses of the Book that makes (things)
3. We recite to you from the account of Musa and Firon with
truth for people who believe.
4. Surely Firon exalted himself in the land and made its
people into parties, weakening one party from among them; he
slaughtered their sons and let their women live; surely he
was one of the mischiefmakers.
S. And We desired to bestow a favor upon those who were
deemed weak in the land, and to make them the Imams, and to
make them the heirs,
6. And to grant them power in the land, and to make Firon
and Haman and their hosts see from them what they feared.
7. And We revealed to Musa's mothers, saying: Give him suck,
then when you fear for him, cast him into the river and do
not fear nor grieve; surely We wi!l bring him back to you
and make him one of the apostles.
8. And Firon's family took him up that he might be an enemy
and a grief for them; surely Firon and Haman and their hosts
9. And Firon's wife said: A refreshment of the eye to me and
to you; do not slay him; maybe he will be useful to us, or
we may take him for a son; and they did not perceive.
10. And the heart of Musa's mother was free (from anxiety)
she would have almost disclosed it had We not strengthened
her heart so that she might be of the believers.
11. And she said to his sister: Follow him up. So she
watched him from a distance while they did not perceive,
12. And We ordained that he refused to suck any foster
mother before, so she said: Shall I point out to you the
people of a house who will take care of him for you, and
they will be benevolent to him?
13. So We gave him back to his mother that her eye might be
refreshed, and that she might no grieve, and that she might
know that the promise of Allah is true, but most of them do
14. And when he attained his maturity and became full grown,
We granted him wisdom and knowledge; and thus do We reward
those who do good (to others).
15. And he went into the city at a time of unvigilance on
the part of its people, so he found therein two men
fighting, one being of his party and the other of his foes,
and he who was of his party cried out to him for help
against him who was of his enemies, so Musa struck him with
his fist and killed him. He said: This is on account of the
Shaitan's doing; surely he is an enemy, openly leading
16. He said: My Lord! surely I have done harm to myself, so
do Thou protect me. So He protected him; surely He is the
Forgiving, the Merciful.
17. He said: My Lord! because Thou hast bestowed a favor on
me, I shall never be a backer of the guilty.
18. And he was in the city, fearing, awaiting, when lo! he
who had asked his assistance the day before was crying out
to him for aid. Musa said to him: You are most surely one
19. So when he desired to seize him who was an enemy to them
both, he said: O Musa! do you intend to kill me as you
killed a person yesterday? You desire nothing but that you
should be a tyrant in the land, and you do not desire to be
of those who act aright.
20. And a man came running from the remotest part of the
city. He said: O Musa! surely the chiefs are consulting
together to slay you, therefore depart (at once); surely I
am of those who wish well to you.
21. So he went forth therefrom, fearing, awaiting, (and) he
said: My Lord! deliver me from the unjust people.
22. And when he turned his face towards Madyan, he said:
Maybe my Lord will guide me in the right path.
23. And when he came to the water of Madyan, he found on it
a group of men watering, and he found besides them two women
keeping back (their flocks). He said: What is the matter
with you? They said: We cannot water until the shepherds
take away (their sheep) from the water, and our father is a
very old man.
24. So he watered (their sheep) for them, then went back to
the shade and said: My Lord! surely I stand in need of
whatever good Thou mayest send down to me.
25. Then one of the two women came to him walking bashfully.
She said: My father invites you that he may give you the
reward of your having watered for us. So when he came to him
and gave to him the account, he said: Fear not, you are
secure from the unjust people.
26. Said one of them: O my father! employ him, surely the
best of those that you can employ is the strong man, the
27. He said: I desire to marry one of these two daughters of
mine to you on condition that you should serve me for eight
years; but if you complete ten, it will be of your own free
will, and I do not wish to be hard to you; if Allah please,
you will find me one of the good.
28. He said: This shall be (an agreement) between me and
you; whichever of the two terms I fulfill, there shall be no
wrongdoing to me; and Allah is a witness of what we say.
29. So when Musa had fulfilled the term, and he journeyed
with his family, he perceived on this side of the mountain a
fire. He said to his family: Wait, I have seen a fire, maybe
I will bring to you from it some news or a brand of fire, so
that you may warm yourselves.
30. And when he came to it, a voice was uttered from the
right side of the valley in the blessed spot of the bush,
saying: O Musa! surely I am Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
31. And saying: Cast down you staff. So when he saw it in
motion as if it were a serpent, he turned back retreating,
and did not return. O Musa! come forward and fear not;
surely you are of those who are secure;
32. Enter your hand into the opening of your bosom, it will
come forth white without evil, and draw your hand to
yourself to ward off fear: so these two shall be two
arguments from your Lord to Firon and his chiefs, surely
they are a transgressing people.
33. He said: My Lord! surely I killed one of them, so I fear
lest they should slay me;
34. And my brother, Haroun, he is more eloquent of tongue
than 1, therefore send him with me as an aider, verifying
me: surely I fear that they would reject me.
35. He said: We will strengthen your arm with your brother,
and We will give you both an authority, so that they shall
not reach you; (go) with Our signs; you two and those who
follow you shall be uppermost.
36. So when Musa came to them with Our clear signs, they
said: This is nothing but forged enchantment, and we never
heard of it amongst our fathers of old.
37. And Musa said: My Lord knows best who comes with
guidance from Him, and whose shall be the good end of the
abode; surely the unjust shall not be successful.
38. And Firon said: O chiefs! I do not know of any god for
you besides myself; therefore kindle a fire for me, O Haman,
for brick, then prepare for me a lofty building so that I
may obtain knowledge of Musa's God, and most surely I think
him to be one of the liars.
39. And he was unjustly proud in the land, he and his hosts,
and they deemed that they would not be brought back to Us.
40. So We caught hold of him and his hosts, then We cast
them into the sea, and see how was the end of the unjust.
41. And We made them Imams who call to the fire, and on the
day of resurrection they shall not be assisted.
42. And We caused a curse to follow them in this world, and
on the day of resurrection they shall be of those made to
43. And certainly We gave Musa the Book after We had
destroyed the former generations, clear arguments for men
and a guidance and a mercy, that they may be mindful.
44. And you were not on the western side when We revealed to
Musa the commandment, and you were not among the witnesses;
45. But We raised up generations, then life became prolonged
to them; and you were not dwelling among the people of
Madyan, reciting to them Our communications, but We were the
46. And you were not on this side of the mountain when We
called, but a mercy from your Lord that you may warn a
people to whom no warner came before you, that they may be
47. And were it not that there should befall them a disaster
for what their hands have sent before, then they should say:
Our Lord! why didst Thou not send to us an apostle so that
we should have followed Thy communications and been of the
48. But (now) when the truth has come to them from Us, they
say: Why is he not given the like of what was given to Musa?
What! did they not disbelieve in what Musa was given before?
They say: Two magicians backing up each other; and they say:
Surely we are unbelievers in all.
49. Say: Then bring some (other) book from Allah which is a
better guide than both of them, (that) I may follow it, if
you are truthful.
50. But if they do not answer you, then know that they only
follow their low desires; and who is more erring than he who
follows his low desires without any guidance from Allah?
Surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.
51. And certainly We have made the word to reach them so
that they may be mindful.
52. (As to) those whom We gave the Book before it, they are
believers in it.
53. And when it is recited to them they say: We believe in
it surely it is the truth from our Lord; surely we were
submitters before this.
54. These shall be granted their reward twice, because they
are steadfast and they repel evil with good and spend out of
what We have given them.
SS. And when they hear idle talk they turn aside from it and
say: We shall have our deeds and you shall have your deeds;
peace be on you, we do not desire the ignorant.
56. Surely you cannot guide whom you love, but Allah guides
whom He pleases, and He knows best the followers of the
57. And they say: If we follow the guidance with you, we
shall be carried off from our country. What ! have We not
settled them in a safe, sacred territory to which fruits of
every kind shall be drawn?-- a sustenance from Us; but most of
them do not know.
58. And how many a town have We destroyed which exulted in
its means of subsistence, so these are their abodes, they
have not been dwelt in after them except a little, and We
are the inheritors,
59. And your Lord never destroyed the towns until He raised
in their metropolis an apostle, reciting to them Our
communications, and We never destroyed the towns except when
their people were unjust.
60. And whatever things you have been given are only a
provision of this world's life and its adornment, and
whatever is with Allah is better and more lasting; do you
not then understand?
61. Is he to whom We have promised a goodly promise which he
shall meet with like him whom We have provided with the
provisions of this world's life, then on the day of
resurrection he shall be of those who are brought up?
62. And on the day when He will call them and say: Where are
those whom you deemed to be My associates?
63. Those against whom the sentence has become confirmed
will say: Our Lord! these are they whom we caused to err; we
caused them to err as we ourselves did err; to Thee we
declare ourselves to be clear (of them); they never served
64. And it will be said: Call your associate-gods. So they
will call upon them, but they will not answer them, and they
shall see the punishment; would that they had followed the
65. And on the day when He shall call them and say: What was
the answer you gave to the apostles?
66. Then the pleas shall become obscure to them on that day,
so they shall not ask each other.
67. But as to him who repents and believes and does good,
maybe he will be among the successful:
68. And your Lord creates and chooses whom He pleases; to
choose is not theirs; glory be to Allah, and exalted be He
above what they associate (with Him).
69. And your Lord knows what their breasts conceal and what
70. And He is Allah, there is no god but He! All praise is
due to Him in this (life) and the hereafter, and His is the
judgment, and to Him you shall be brought back.
71. Say: Tell me, if Allah were to make the night to
continue incessantly on you till the day of resurrection,
who is the god besides Allah that could bring you light? Do
you not then hear?
72. Say: Tell me, if Allah were to make the day to continue
incessantly on you till the day of resurrection, who is the
god besides Allah that could bring you the night in which
you take rest? Do you not then see?
73. And out of His mercy He has made for you the night and
the day, that you may rest therein, and that you may seek of
His grace, and that you may give thanks.
74. And on the day when He shall call them and say: Where
are those whom you deemed to be My associates?
75. And We will draw forth from among every nation a witness
and say: Bring your proof; then shall they know that the
truth is Allah's, and that which they forged shall depart
76. Surely Qaroun was of the people of Musa, but he rebelled
against them, and We had given him of the treasures, so much
so that his hoards of wealth would certainly weigh down a
company of men possessed of great strength. When his people
said to him: Do not exult, surely Allah does not love the
77. And seek by means of what Allah has given you the future
abode, and do not neglect your portion of this world, and do
good (to others) as Allah has done good to you, and do not
seek to make mischief in the land, surely Allah does not
love the mischief-makers.
78. He said: I have been given this only on account of the
knowledge I have. Did he not know that Allah had destroyed
before him of the generations those who were mightier in
strength than he and greater in assemblage? And the guilty
shall not be asked about their faults.
79. So he went forth to his people in his finery. Those who
desire this world's life said: O would that we had the like
of what Qaroun is given; most surely he is possessed of
mighty good fortune.
80. And those who were given the knowledge said: Woe to you!
Allah's reward is better for him who believes and does good,
and none is made to receive this except the patient.
81. Thus We made the earth to swallow up him and his abode;
so he had no body of helpers to assist him against Allah nor
was he of those who can defend themselves.
82. And those who yearned for his place only the day before
began to say: Ah! (know) that Allah amplifies and straitens
the means of subsistence for whom He pleases of His
servants; had not Allah been gracious to us, He would most
surely have abased us; ah! (know) that the ungrateful are
83. (As for) that future abode, We assign it to those who
have no desire to exalt themselves in the earth nor to make
mischief and the good end is for those who guard (against
84. Whoever brings good, he shall have better than it, and
whoever brings evil, those who do evil shall not be rewarded
(for) aught except what they did.
85. Most surely He Who has made the Quran binding on you
will bring you back to the destination. Say: My Lord knows
best him who has brought the guidance and him who is in
86. And you did not expect that the Book would be inspired
to you, but it is a mercy from your Lord, therefore be not a
backer-up of the unbelievers.
87. And let them not turn you aside from the communications
of Allah after they have been revealed to you, and call
(men) to your Lord and be not of the polytheists.
88. And call not with Allah any other god; there is no god
but He, every thing is perishable but He; His is the
judgment, and to Him you shall be brought back.