I. O Prophet! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and do not
comply with (the wishes of) the unbelievers and the
hypocrites; surely Allah is Knowing, Wise;
2. And follow what is revealed to you from your Lord; surely
Allah is Aware of what you do;
3. And rely on Allah; and Allah is sufficient for a
4. Allah has not made for any man two hearts within him; nor
has He made your wives whose backs you liken to the backs of
your mothers as your mothers, nor has He made those whom you
assert to be your sons your real sons; these are the words
of your mouths; and Allah speaks the truth and He guides to
5. Assert their relationship to their fathers; this is more
equitable with Allah; but if you do not know their fathers,
then they are your brethren in faith and your friends; and
there is no blame on you concerning that in which you made a
mistake, but (concerning) that which your hearts do
purposely (blame may rest on you), and Allah is Forgiving,
6. The Prophet has a greater claim on the faithful than they
have on themselves, and his wives are (as) their mothers;
and the possessors of relationship have the better claim in
the ordinance of Allah to inheritance, one with respect to
another, than (other) believers, and (than) those who have
fled (their homes), except that you do some good to your
friends; this is written in the Book.
/ 7. And when We made a covenant with the prophets and with
you, and with Nuh and Ibrahim and Musa and Isa, son of
Marium, and We made with them a strong covenant
8. That He may question the truthful of their truth, and He
has prepared for the unbelievers a painful punishment.
9. O you who believe! call to mind the favor of Allah to you
when there came down upon you hosts, so We sent against them
a strong wind and hosts, that you saw not, and Allah is
Seeing what you do.
10. When they came upon you from above you and from below
you, and when the eyes turned dull, and the hearts rose up
to the throats, and you began to think diverse thoughts of
11. There the believers were tried and they were shaken with
12. And when the hypocrites and those in whose hearts was a
disease began to say: Allah and His Apostle did not promise
us (victory) but only to deceive.
13. And when a party of them said: O people of Yasrib! there
IS no place to stand for you (here), therefore go back; and
a party of them asked permission of the prophet, saying.
Surely our houses are exposed; and they were not exposed;
they only desired to fly away.
14. And if an entry were made upon them from the outlying
parts of it, then they were asked to wage war, they would
certainly have done it, and they would not have stayed in it
but a little while.
15. And certainly they had made a covenant with Allah
before, that) they would not turn (their) backs; and Allah's
covenant shall be inquired of.
16. Say: Flight shall not do you any good if you fly from
death or slaughter, and in that case you will not be allowed
to enjoy yourselves but a little.
17. Say: Who is it that can withhold you from Allah if He
intends to do you evil, rather He intends to show you mercy?
And they will not find for themselves besides Allah any
guardian or a helper.
18. Allah knows indeed those among you who hinder others and
those who say to their brethren: Come to us; and they come
not to the fight but a little,
19. Being niggardly with respect to you; but when fear
comes, you will see them looking to you, their eyes rolling
like one swooning because of death; but when the fear is
gone they smite you with sharp tongues, being niggardly of
the good things. These have not believed, therefore Allah
has made.their doing naught; and this is easy to Allah.
20. They think the allies are not gone, and if the allies
should come (again) they would fain be in the deserts with
the desert Arabs asking for news about you, and if they were
among you they would not fight save a little.
21. Certainly you have in the Apostle of Allah an excellent
exemplar for him who hopes in Allah and the latter day and
remembers Allah much.
22. And when the believers saw the allies, they said: This
is what Allah and His Apostle promised us, and Allah and His
Apostle spoke the truth; and it only increased them in faith
23. Of the believers are men who are true to the covenant
which they made with Allah: so of them is he who
accomplished his vow, and of them is he who yet waits, and
they have not changed in the least
24. That Allah may reward the truthful for their truth, and
punish the hypocrites if He please or turn to them
(mercifully); surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
25. And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage;
they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the
believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.
26. And He drove down those of the followers of the Book who
backed them from their fortresses and He cast awe into their
hearts; some you killed and you took captive another part.
27. And He made you heirs to their land and their dwellings
and their property, and (to) a land which you have not yet
trodden, and Allah has power over all things.
28. O Prophet! say to your wives: If you desire this world's
life and its adornment, then come, I will give you a
provision and allow you to depart a goodly departing
29. And if you desire Allah and His Apostle and the latter
abode, then surely Allah has prepared for the doers of good
among you a mighty reward.
30. O wives of the prophet! whoever of you commits an open
indecency, the punishment shall be increased to her doubly;
and this IS easy to Allah.
31. And whoever of you is obedient to Allah and His Apostle
and does good, We will give to her her reward doubly, and We
have prepared for her an honorable sustenance.
32. O wives of the Prophet! you are not like any other of
the women; If you will be on your guard, then be not soft in
(your) speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease yearn;
and speak a good word.
33. And stay in your houses and do not display your finery
like the displaying of the ignorance of yore; and keep up
prayer, and pay the poor-rate, and obey Allah and His
Apostle. Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness
from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a
34. And keep to mind what is recited in your houses of the
communications of Allah and the wisdom; surely Allah is
Knower of subtleties, Aware.
35. Surely the men who submit and the women who submit, and
the believing men and the believing women, and the obeying
men and the obeying women, and the truthful men and the
truthful women, and the patient men and the patient women
and the humble men and the humble women, and the almsgiving
men and the almsgiving women, and the fasting men and the
fasting women, and the men who guard their private parts and
the women who guard, and the men who remember Allah much and
the women who remember-- Allah has prepared for them
forgiveness and a mighty reward.
36. And it behoves not a believing man and a believing woman
that they should have any choice in their matter when Allah
and His Apostle have decided a matter; and whoever disobeys
Allah and His Apostle, he surely strays off a manifest
37. And when you said to him to whom Allah had shown favor
and to whom you had shown a favor: Keep your wife to
yourself and be careful of (your duty to) Allah; and you
concealed in your soul what Allah would bring to light, and
you feared men, and Allah had a greater right that you
should fear Him. But when Zaid had accomplished his want of
her, We gave her to you as a wife, so that there should be
no difficulty for the believers in respect of the wives of
their adopted sons, when they have accomplished their want
of them; and Allah's command shall be performed.
38. There is no harm in the Prophet doing that which Allah
has ordained for him; such has been the course of Allah with
respect to those who have gone before; and the command of
Allah is a decree that is made absolute:
39. Those who deliver the messages of Allah and fear Him,
and do not fear any one but Allah; and Allah is sufficient
to take account.
40. Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is
the Apostle of Allah and the Last of the prophets; and Allah
is cognizant of all things.
41. O you who believe! remember Allah, remembering
42. And glorify Him morning and evening.
43. He it is Who sends His blessings on you, and (so do) His
angels, that He may bring you forth out of utter darkness
into the light; and He is Merciful to the believers.
44. Their salutation on the day that they meet Him shall be,
Peace, and He has prepared for them an honourable reward.
45. O Prophet! surely We have sent you as a witness, and as
a bearer of good news and as a warner,
46. And as one inviting to Allah by His permission, and as a
47. And give to the believers the good news that they shall
have a great grace from Allah.
48. And be not compliant to the unbelievers and the
hypocrites, and leave unregarded their annoying talk, and
rely on Allah; and Allah is sufficient as a Protector.
49. O you who believe! when you marry the believing women,
then divorce them before you touch them, you have in their
case no term which you should reckon; so make some provision
for them and send them forth a goodly sending forth.
50. O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives
whom you have given their dowries, and those whom your right
hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as
prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles
and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters
of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal
aunts who fled with you; and a believing woman if she gave
herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desired to marry
her-- specially for you, not for the (rest of) believers; We
know what We have ordained for them concerning their wives
and those whom their right hands possess in order that no
blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
51. You may put off whom you please of them, and you may
take to you whom you please, and whom you desire of those
whom you had separated provisionally; no blame attaches to
you; this is most proper, so that their eyes may be cool and
they may not grieve, and that they should be pleased, all of
them with what you give them, and Allah knows what is in
your hearts; and Allah is Knowing, Forbearing.
52. It is not allowed to you to take women afterwards, nor
that you should change them for other wives, though their
beauty be pleasing to you, except what your right hand
possesses and Allah is Watchful over all things.
53. O you who believe! do not enter the houses of the
Prophet unless permission is given to you for a meal, not
waiting for its cooking being finished-- but when you are
invited, enter, and when you have taken the food, then
disperse-- not seeking to listen to talk; surely this gives
the Prophet trouble, but he forbears from you, and Allah
does not forbear from the truth And when you ask of them any
goods, ask of them from behind a curtain; this is purer for
your hearts and (for) their hearts; and it does not behove
you that you should give trouble to the Apostle of Allah,
nor that you should marry his wives after him ever; surely
this is grievous in the sight of Allah.
54. If you do a thing openly or do it in secret, then surely
Allah is Cognizant of all things.
55. There is no blame on them in respect of their fathers,
nor their brothers, nor their brothers' sons, nor their
sisters' sons nor their own women, nor of what their right
hands possess; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah;
surely Allah is a witness of all things.
56. Surely Allah and His angels bless the Prophet; O you who
believe! call for (Divine) blessings on him and salute him
with a (becoming) salutation.
57. Surely (as for) those who speak evil things of Allah and
His Apostle, Allah has cursed them in this world and the
here after, and He has prepared for them a chastisement
58. And those who speak evil things of the believing men and
the believing women without their having earned (it), they
are guilty indeed of a false accusation and a manifest sin.
59. O Prophet! say to your wives and your daughters and the
women of the believers that they let down upon them their
over-garments; this will be more proper, that they may be
known, and thus they will not be given trouble; and Allah is
60. If the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease
and the agitators in the city do not desist, We shall most
certainly set you over them, then they shall not be your
neighbors in it but for a little while;
61. Cursed: wherever they are found they shall be seized and
murdered, a (horrible) murdering.
62. (Such has been) the course of Allah with respect to
those who have gone before; and you shall not find any
change in the course of Allah.
63. Men ask you about the hour; say: The knowledge of it is
only with Allah, and what will make you comprehend that the
: hour may be nigh.
64. Surely Allah has cursed the unbelievers and has prepared
for them a burning fire,
65. To abide therein for a long time; they shall not find a
protector or a helper.
66. On the day when their faces shall be turned back into
the fire, they shall say: O would that we had obeyed Allah
and obeyed the Apostle!
67. And they shall say: O our Lord! surely we obeyed our
leaders and our great men, so they led us astray from the
68. O our Lord! give them a double punishment and curse them
with a great curse.
69. O you who believe! be not like those who spoke evil
things of Musa, but Allah cleared him of what they said, and
he was worthy of regard with Allah.
70. O you who believe! be careful of(your duty to) Allah and
speak the right word,
71. He will put your deeds into a right state for you, and
forgive you your faults; and whoever obeys Allah and His
Apostle, he indeed achieves a mighty success.
72. Surely We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth
and the mountains, but they refused to be unfaithful to it
and feared from it, and man has turned unfaithful to it;
surely he is unjust, ignorant;
73. So Allah will chastise the hypocritical men and the
hypocritical women and the polytheistic men and the
polytheistic women, and Allah will turn (mercifully) to the
believing women, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.