1. O you who believe! be not forward in the presence of
Allah and His Apostle, and be careful of (your duty to)
Allah; surely Allah is Hearing, Knowing.
2. O you who believe! do not raise your voices above the
voice of the Prophet, and do not speak loud to him as you
speak loud to one another, lest your deeds became null while
you do not perceive.
3. Surely those who lower their voices before Allah's
Apostle are they whose hearts Allah has proved for guarding
(against evil); they shall have forgiveness and a great
4. (As for) those who call out to you from behind the
private chambers, surely most of them do not understand.
5. And if they wait patiently until you come out to them, it
would certainly be better for them, and Allah is Forgiving,
6. O you who believe! if an evil-doer comes to you with a
report, look carefully into it, lest you harm a people in
ignorance, then be sorry for what you have done.
7. And know that among you is Allah's Apostle; should he
obey you in many a matter, you would surely fall into
distress, but Allah has endeared the faith to you and has
made it seemly in your hearts, and He has made hateful to
you unbelief and transgression and disobedience; these it is
that are the followers of a right way.
8. By grace from Allah and as a favor; and Allah is Knowing,
9. And if two parties of the believers quarrel, make peace
between them; but if one of them acts wrongfully towards the
other, fight that which acts wrongfully until it returns to
Allah's command; then if it returns, make peace between them
with justice and act equitably; surely Allah loves those who
10. The believers are but brethren, therefore make peace
between your brethren and be careful of (your duty to) Allah
that mercy may be had on you.
11. O you who believe! let not (one) people laugh at
(another) people perchance they may be better than they, nor
let women (laugh) at (other) women, perchance they may be
better than they; and do not find fault with your own people
nor call one another by nicknames; evil is a bad name after
faith, and whoever does not turn, these it is that are the
12. O you who believe! avoid most of suspicion, for surely
suspicion in some cases is a sin, and do not spy nor let
some of you backbite others. Does one of you like to eat the
flesh of his dead brother? But you abhor it; and be careful
of (your duty to) Allah, surely Allah is Oft-returning (to
13. O you men! surely We have created you of a male and a
female, and made you tribes and families that you may know
each other; surely the most honorable of you with Allah is
the one among you most careful (of his duty); surely Allah
is Knowing, Aware.
14. The dwellers of the desert say: We believe. Say: You do
not believe but say, We submit; and faith has not yet
entered into your hearts; and if you obey Allah and His
Apostle, He will not diminish aught of your deeds; surely
Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
15. The believers are only those who believe in Allah and
His Apostle then they doubt not and struggle hard with their
wealth and their lives in the way of Allah; they are the
16. Say: Do you apprise Allah of your religion, and Allah
knows what is in the heavens and what is in the earth; and
Allah is Cognizant of all things.
17. They think that they lay you under an obligation by
becoming Muslims. Say: Lay me not under obligation by your
Islam: rather Allah lays you under an obligation by guiding
you to the faith if you are truthful.
18. Surely Allah knows the unseen things of the heavens and
the earth; and Allah sees what you do.