1. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares the
glory of Allah, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
2. His is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth; He gives
life and causes death; and He has power over all things.
3. He is the First and the Last and the Ascendant (over all)
and the Knower of hidden things, and He is Cognizant of all
4. He it is who created the heavens and the earth in six
periods, and He is firm in power; He knows that which goes
deep down into the earth and that which comes forth out of
it, and that which comes down from the heaven and that which
goes up into it, and He is with you wherever you are; and
Allah sees what you do.
5. His is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth; and to
Allah are (all) affairs returned.
6. He causes the night to enter in upon the day, and causes
the day to enter in upon the night, and He is Cognizant of
what is in the hearts.
7. Believe in Allah and His Apostle, and spend out of what
He has made you to be successors of; for those of you who
believe and spend shall have a great reward.
8. And what reason have you that you should not believe in
Allah? And the Apostle calls on you that you may believe in
your Lord, and indeed He has made a covenant with you if you
9. He it is who sends down clear communications upon His
servant, that he may bring you forth from utter darkness
into light; and most surely Allah is Kind, Merciful to you.
10. And what reason have you that you should not spend in
Allah's way? And Allah's is the inheritance of the heavens
and the earth, not alike among you are those who spent
before the victory and fought (and those who did not): they
are more exalted in rank than those who spent and fought
afterwards; and Allah has promised good to all; and Allah is
Aware of what you do.
I 1. Who is there that will offer to Allah a good gift so He
will double it for him, and he shall have an excellent
12. On that day you will see the faithful men and the
faithful women-- their light running before them and on their
right hand-- good news for you today: gardens beneath which
rivers flow, to abide therein, that is the grand
13. On the day when the hypocritical men and the
hypocritical women will say to those who believe: Wait for
us, that we may have light from your light; it shall be
said: Turn back and seek a light. Then separation would be
brought about between them, with a wall having a door in it;
(as for) the inside of it, there shall be mercy in it, and
(as for) the outside of it, before it there shall be
14. They will cry out to them: Were we not with you? They
shall say: Yea! but you caused yourselves to fall into
temptation, and you waited and doubted, and vain desires
deceived you till
the threatened punishment of Allah came, while the
archdeceiver deceived you about Allah.
15. So today ransom shall not be accepted from you nor from
those who disbelieved; your abode is the fire; it is your
friend and evil is the resort.
16. Has not the time yet come for those who believe that
their hearts should be humble for the remembrance of Allah
and what has come down of the truth? And ~that) they should
not be like those who were given the Book before, but the
time became prolonged to them, so their hearts hardened, and
most of them are transgressors.
17. Know that Allah gives life to the earth after its death;
indeed, We have made the communications clear to you that
you may understand.
18. Surely (as for) the charitable men and the charitable
women and (those who) set apart for Allah a goodly portion,
it shall be doubled for them and they shall have a noble
19. And (as for) those who believe in Allah and His
apostles, these it is that are the truthful and the faithful
ones in the sight of their Lord: they shall have their
reward and their light, and (as for) those who disbelieve
and reject Our communications, these are the inmates of the
20. Know that this world's life is only sport and play and
gaiety and boasting among yourselves, and a vying in the
multiplication of wealth and children, like the rain, whose
causing the vegetation to grow, pleases the husbandmen, then
it withers away so that you will see it become yellow, then
it becomes dried up and broken down; and in the hereafter is
a severe chastisement and (also) forgiveness from Allah and
(His) pleasure; and this world's life is naught but means of
21 . Hasten to forgiveness from your Lord and to a garden
the extensiveness of which is as the extensiveness of the
heaven and the earth; it is prepared for those who believe
in Allah and His apostles; that is the grace of Allah: He
gives it to whom He pleases, and Allah is the Lord of mighty
22. No evil befalls on the earth nor in your own souls, but
it is in a book before We bring it into existence; surely
that is easy to Allah:
23. So that you may not grieve for what has escaped you, nor
be exultant at what He has given you; and Allah does not
love any arrogant boaster:
24. Those who are niggardly and enjoin niggardliness on men;
and whoever turns back, then surely Allah is He Who is the
Selfsufficient, the Praised.
25. Certainly We sent Our apostles with clear arguments, and
sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may
conduct themselves with equity; and We have made the iron,
wherein is great violence and advantages to men, and that
Allah may know who helps Him and His apostles in the secret;
surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.
26. And certainly We sent Nuh and Ibrahim and We gave to
their offspring the (gift of) prophecy and the Book; so
there are among them those who go aright, and most of them
27. Then We made Our apostles to follow in their footsteps,
and We sent Isa son of Marium afterwards, and We gave him
the Injeel, and We put in the hearts of those who followed
him kindness and mercy; and (as for) monkery, they innovated
it-- We did not prescribe it to them-- only to seek Allah's
pleasure, but they did not observe it with its due
observance; so We gave to those of them who believed their
reward, and most of them are transgressors.
28. O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah
and believe in His Apostle: He will give you two portions of
His mercy, and make for you a light with which you will
walk, and forgive you, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful;
29. So that the followers of the Book may know that they do
not control aught of the grace of Allah, and that grace 15 m
Allah's hand, He gives it to whom He pleases; and Allah is
the Lord of mighty grace.