1. O Prophet! why do you forbid (yourself) that which Allah
has made lawful for you; you seek to please your wives; and
Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
2. Allah indeed has sanctioned for you the expiation of your
oaths and Allah is your Protector, and He is the Knowing the
3. And when the prophet secretly communicated a piece of
information to one of his wives-- but when she informed
(others) of it, and Allah made him to know it, he made known
part of it and avoided part; so when he informed her of it,
she said: Who informed you of this? He said: The Knowing,
the one Aware, informed me.
4. If you both turn to Allah, then indeed your hearts are
already inclined (to this); and if you back up each other
against him, then surely Allah it is Who is his Guardian,
and Jibreel and -the believers that do good, and the angels
after that are the aiders.
5. Maybe, his Lord, if he divorce you, will give him in your
place wives better than you, submissive, faithful, obedient,
penitent, adorers, fasters, widows and virgins.
6. O you who believe! save yourselves and your families from
a fire whose fuel is men and stones; over it are angels
stern and strong, they do not disobey Allah in what He
commands them, and do as they are commanded.
7. O you who disbelieve! do not urge excuses today; you
shall be rewarded only according to what you did.
8. O you who believe! turn to Allah a sincere turning; maybe
your Lord will remove from you your evil and cause you to
enter gardens beneath which rivers flow, on the day on which
Allah will not abase the Prophet and those who believe with
him; their light shall run on before them and on their right
hands; they shall say: Our Lord! make perfect for us our
light, and grant us protection, surely Thou hast power over
9. O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the
hypocrites, and be hard against them; and their abode is
hell; and evil is the resort.
10. Allah sets forth an example to those who disbelieve the
wife of Nuh and the wife of Lut: they were both under two of
Our righteous servants, but they acted treacherously towards
them so they availed them naught against Allah, and it was
said: Enter both the fire with those who enter.
11. And Allah sets forth an example to those who believe the
wife of Firon when she said: My Lord! build for me a house
with Thee in the garden and deliver me from Firon and his
doing, and deliver me from the unjust people:
12. And Marium, the daughter of Imran, who guarded her
chastity, so We breathed into her of Our inspiration and she
accepted the truth of the words of her Lord and His books,
and she was of, the obedient ones.