1. Nay! I swear by the day of resurrection.
2. Nay! I swear by the self-accusing soul.
3. Does man think that We shall not gather his bones?
4. Yea! We are able to make complete his very fingertips
S. Nay! man desires to give the lie to what is before him.
6. He asks: When is the day of resurrection?
7. So when the sight becomes dazed,
8. And the moon becomes dark,
9. And the sun and the moon are brought together,
10. Man shall say on that day: Whither to fly to?
11. By no means! there shall be no place of refuge!
12. With your Lord alone shall on that.day be the place of
13. Man shall on that day be informed of what he sent before
and (what he) put off.
14. Nay! man is evidence against himself,
15. Though he puts forth his excuses.
16. Do not move your tongue with it to make haste with it,
17: Surely on Us (devolves) the collecting of it and the
reciting of it.
18. Therefore when We have recited it, follow its
19. Again on Us (devolves) the explaining of it.
20. Nay! But you love the present life,
21. And neglect the hereafter.
22. (Some) faces on that day shall be bright,
23. Looking to their Lord.
24. And (other) faces on that day shall be gloomy,
25. Knowing that there will be made to befall them some
26. Nay! When it comes up to the throat,
27. And it is said: Who will be a magician?
28. And he is sure that it is the (hour of) parting
29. And affliction is combined with affliction;
30. To your Lord on that day shall be the driving.
31. So he did not accept the truth, nor did he pray,
32. But called the truth a lie and turned back,
33. Then he went to his followers, walking away in
34. Nearer to you (is destruction) and nearer,
35. Again (consider how) nearer to you and nearer.
36. Does man think that he is to be left to wander without
37. Was he not a small seed in the seminal elements,
38. Then he was a clot of blood, so He created (him) then
made (him) perfect.
39. Then He made of him two kinds, the male and the female.
40. Is not He able to give life to the dead?