1. Nay! I swear by this city.
2. And you shall be made free from obligation in this city--
3. And the begetter and whom he begot.
4. Certainly We have created man to be in distress.
5. Does he think that no one has power over him?
6. He shall say: I have wasted much wealth.
7. Does he think that no one sees him?
8. Have We not given him two eyes,
9. And a tongue and two lips,
10. And pointed out to him the two conspicuous ways?
11. But he would not attempt the uphill road,
12. And what will make you comprehend what the uphill road
13. (It is) the setting free of a slave,
14. Or the giving of food in a day of hunger
15. To an orphan, having relationship,
16. Or to the poor man lying in the dust.
17. Then he is of those who believe and charge one another
to show patience, and charge one another to show compassion.
18. These are the people of the right hand.
19. And (as for) those who disbelieve in our communications,
they are the people of the left hand.
20. On them is fire closed over.