1. Blessed be He in Whose hands
is Dominion; and He over all things hath Power;
2. He Who created Death and Life,
that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is
the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving;-
3. He Who created the seven heavens
one above another: No want of proportion wilt thou see in
the Creation of (Allah) Most Gracious. So turn thy vision
again: seest thou any flaw?
4. Again turn thy vision a second
time: (thy) vision will come back to thee dull and discomfited,
in a state worn out.
5. And we have, (from of old),
adorned the lowest heaven with Lamps, and We have made such
(Lamps) (as) missiles to drive away the Evil Ones, and have
prepared for them the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
6. For those who reject their Lord
(and Cherisher) is the Penalty of Hell: and evil is (such),
7. When they are cast therein,
they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even
as it blazes forth,
8. Almost bursting with fury: Every
time a Group is cast therein, its Keepers will ask, "Did
no Warner come to you?"
9. They will say: "Yes indeed;
a Warner did come to us, but we rejected him and said, '(Allah)
never sent down any (Message): ye are nothing but an egregious
10. They will further say: "Had
we but listened or used our intelligence, we should not
(now) be among the Companions of the Blazing Fire!"
11. They will then confess their
sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions
of the Blazing Fire!
12. As for those who fear their
Lord unseen, for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward.
13. And whether ye hide your word
or publish it, He certainly has (full) knowledge, of the
secrets of (all) hearts.
14. Should He not know,- He that
created? and He is the One that understands the finest mysteries
(and) is well-acquainted (with them).
15. It is He Who has made the
earth manageable for you, so traverse ye through its tracts
and enjoy of the Sustenance which He furnishes: but unto
Him is the Resurrection.
16. Do ye feel secure that He
Who is in heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by
the earth when it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
17. Or do ye feel secure that
He Who is in Heaven will not send against you a violent
tornado (with showers of stones), so that ye shall know
how (terrible) was My warning?
18. But indeed men before them
rejected (My warning): then how (terrible) was My rejection
19. Do they not observe the birds
above them, spreading their wings and folding them in? None
can uphold them except (Allah) Most Gracious: Truly (Allah)
Most Gracious: Truly it is He that watches over all things.
20. Nay, who is there that can
help you, (even as) an army, besides (Allah) Most Merciful?
In nothing but delusion are the Unbelievers.
21. Or who is there that can provide
you with Sustenance if He were to withhold His provision?
Nay, they obstinately persist in insolent impiety and flight
(from the Truth).
22. Is then one who walks headlong,
with his face grovelling, better guided,- or one who walks
evenly on a Straight Way?
23. Say: "It is He Who has created
you (and made you grow), and made for you the faculties
of hearing, seeing, feeling and understanding: little thanks
it is ye give.
24. Say: "It is He Who has multiplied
you through the earth, and to Him shall ye be gathered together."
25. They ask: When will this promise
be (fulfilled)? - If ye are telling the truth.
26. Say: "As to the knowledge
of the time, it is with Allah alone: I am (sent) only to
warn plainly in public."
27. At length, when they see it
close at hand, grieved will be the faces of the Unbelievers,
and it will be said (to them): "This is (the promise fulfilled),
which ye were calling for!"
28. Say: "See ye?- If Allah were
to destroy me, and those with me, or if He bestows His Mercy
on us,- yet who can deliver the Unbelievers from a grievous
29. Say: "He is (Allah) Most
Gracious: We have believed in Him, and on Him have we put
our trust: So, soon will ye know which (of us) it is that
is in manifest error."
30. Say: "See ye?- If your stream
be some morning lost (in the underground earth), who then
can supply you with clear-flowing water?"