1. Has there not been over Man a
long period of Time, when he was nothing (not even) mentioned?
2. Verily We created Man from a
drop of mingled sperm, in order to try him: So We gave him
(the gifts), of Hearing and Sight.
3. We showed him the Way: whether
he be grateful or ungrateful (rests on his will).
4. For the Rejecters we have prepared
chains, yokes, and a blazing Fire.
5. As to the Righteous, they shall
drink of a Cup (of Wine) mixed with Kafur,-
6. A Fountain where the Devotees
of Allah do drink, making it flow in unstinted abundance.
7. They perform (their) vows, and
they fear a Day whose evil flies far and wide.
8. And they feed, for the love
of Allah, the indigent, the orphan, and the captive,-
9. (Saying),"We feed you for the
sake of Allah alone: no reward do we desire from you, nor
10. "We only fear a Day of distressful
Wrath from the side of our Lord."
11. But Allah will deliver them
from the evil of that Day, and will shed over them a Light
of Beauty and (blissful) Joy.
12. And because they were patient
and constant, He will reward them with a Garden and (garments
13. Reclining in the (Garden)
on raised thrones, they will see there neither the sun's
(excessive heat) nor (the moon's) excessive cold.
14. And the shades of the (Garden)
will come low over them, and the bunches (of fruit), there,
will hang low in humility.
15. And amongst them will be passed
round vessels of silver and goblets of crystal,-
16. Crystal-clear, made of silver:
they will determine the measure thereof (according to their
17. And they will be given to
drink there of a Cup (of Wine) mixed with Zanjabil,-
18. A fountain there, called Salsabil.
19. And round about them will
(serve) youths of perpetual (freshness): If thou seest them,
thou wouldst think them scattered Pearls.
20. And when thou lookest, it
is there thou wilt see a Bliss and a Realm Magnificent.
21. Upon them will be green Garments
of fine silk and heavy brocade, and they will be adorned
with Bracelets of silver; and their Lord will give to them
to drink of a Wine Pure and Holy.
22. "Verily this is a Reward for
you, and your Endeavour is accepted and recognised."
23. It is We Who have sent down
the Qur'an to thee by stages.
24. Therefore be patient with
constancy to the Command of thy Lord, and hearken not to
the sinner or the ingrate among them.
25. And celebrate the name or
thy Lord morning and evening,
26. And part of the night, prostrate
thyself to Him; and glorify Him a long night through.
27. As to these, they love the
fleeting life, and put away behind them a Day (that will
28. It is We Who created them,
and We have made their joints strong; but, when We will,
We can substitute the like of them by a complete change.
29. This is an admonition: Whosoever
will, let him take a (straight) Path to his Lord.
30. But ye will not, except as
Allah wills; for Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
31. He will admit to His Mercy
whom He will; But the wrong-doers,- for them has He prepared
a grievous Penalty.