1. Proclaim! (or read!) in the name
of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created-
2. Created man, out of a (mere)
clot of congealed blood:
3. Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most
4. He Who taught (the use of) the
5. Taught man that which he knew
6. Nay, but man doth transgress
7. In that he looketh upon himself
8. Verily, to thy Lord is the return
9. Seest thou one who forbids-
10. A votary when he (turns) to
11. Seest thou if he is on (the
road of) Guidance?-
12. Or enjoins Righteousness?
13. Seest thou if he denies (Truth)
and turns away?
14. Knoweth he not that Allah
15. Let him beware! If he desist
not, We will drag him by the forelock,-
16. A lying, sinful forelock!
17. Then, let him call (for help)
to his council (of comrades):
18. We will call on the angels
of punishment (to deal with him)!
19. Nay, heed him not: But bow
down in adoration, and bring thyself the closer (to Allah).