PHASES ANS STAGES OF THE CALL:
The Muhammadan Call could be divided into two phases distinctively demarcated:
- The Makkan phase: nearly thirteen years.
- The Madinese phase: fully ten years.
Each of the two phases included distinctive features easily discernible
through accurate scrutiny into the circumstances that characterized each
The Makkan phase can be divided into three stages:
- The stage of the secret Call: three years.
- The stage of the proclamation of the Call in Makkah: from the beginning
of the fourth year of Prophethood to almost the end of the tenth year.
- The stage of the call to Islam and propagating it beyond Makkah: it
lasted from the end of tenth year of the Prophethood until Muhammadís
† (Peace be upon him) emigration to Madinah.
The Madinese phase will be considered later in its due course.